Logo

bf115 extension case

branda

I had a gas leak over night that filled the extension case. The lower seal of the
extension case dissolved, and the fuel then drained to the floor.
I am suprised that gas would dissolve any modern day gasket. My question is,
should I be looking for any other damage within the extension case
cavity?

I caused the leak the evening before. Removed the LP fuel filter, and waiting on a new one, and my plug wasn't tight. I will be taking the extension
case off this afternoon. I am just amazed that gas would have such
a destructive result on any part of a Honda motor, inside or out. (without lighting it)...
Its all dried out now, so I don't know exactly what might be wrong elsewhere.

Seals and gaskets are made from many different formulas. The formulas for seals that can stand up to the corrosive chemical action of gasoline are more expensive than many of the seal formulas intended just to keep out dirt and water. I can think of no manufacturer that would intentionally penalize themselves monetarily in the manufacturing process to provide for a fuel resistant seal where no fuel contact would normally be anticipated.

You may want to inspect the gear case seals for the shift shaft, water pump and water tube seals for any "mushiness" if they were in contact with the gas for very long. Although, most of those are intended/formulated to be oil resistant and are more robust than the housing seal so you're probably ok there.

thanks jgmo. checked the items you recommended. so far all looks good, a couple of
easy to replace rubber parts. pulling the water pump in the morning.

I have spent time in temcula, love it there.....

Well, glad to hear the damage seems minimal.

Temecula is nice but it has been outgrowing me!! I came here when you could sit in town all day and only see two wagons and a mule go by.

Back