Logo

add gen to tiara 31 w/ 2 454s

slauder

Regular Contributor
Really need microwave and AC to make the summer vacations that are inland river trips comfortable (no sea breeze).

We use a 2000 honda on platform now. Was thinking to get another and double. Its a hassle, though, every time we move the boat (often). Also takes up space when we are not using it.

Any tips on putting in a permanent generater in? How far from gas tank? Tap into 5 exhaust? Regulations?

Pretty sure that a genny was an option on that boat. Should be a place for one in the engine area. Highly recommend Westerbeke. Be prepared for sticker shock. Pay for the installation too.

You can not tap into the engine exhaust. Muffler, hose, and thru-hull exhaust fitting. Also a thru-hull for cooling water is needed. Transfer switches, breakers, and wire. We installed two gen-sets last year, a Westerbeke and Kohler. Cost is about the same, 10k. You will not need a sound shield for the Westerbeke.

Not sure about the 31 Tiara. I have a 33 and there are two places I have seen a generator installed. Mine is installed in port side rear compartment an ONAN 4.5 Ensign. I have seen others where it is installed in the center compartment, where the big fish box is. I would avoid Onan if possible. Parts are rare and very high.

For generators, check out:
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

funny, I'm actually looking for an EU2000i now to do the same. I figured the 2000 would run my stove/microwave (not simultaneously) without any problem. Is that not the case?

I've even read that the it will run the A/C if you change to a larger capaciter so you get a soft start on the compressor. I don't know if I'll take it this far but would be happy with running appliances and charging batteries if needed.

My plan was to get the model with the 30a locking plug and just plug into my shore power outlet on the side of the boat.

My boat has a place for a generator and a thru hull already installed but that's possibly next years project.

Bob

I own a 1997 Tiara 31 with 454's and a Westerbeke genny. Genny is mounted between the engines, as far aft in the engine room as possible, draws off the starboard fuel tank. I believe the fuel pickup is shorter for the genny that the main engine, also a genny-dedicated Racor filter. There is a dedicated water pickup (mushroom?), strainer, muffler, and exhaust (port side). The exhaust routing on the port engine was slightly modified vs the starboard main to accomodate the genny. Bob

Thanks Guys.
bulletime: if the 4Kw is aft and port, does the boat sit a bit down on port? I see I can get a used 4Kw westerbeke for $3500. I think I can handle the install.

BobCT: I'm getting tired of moving it on and off platform and hate the vibrations on bow. I may be able to run a newer microwave (maybe its my old 1991 original thats hard draw.) http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/generators/content.aspx?asset=gg_howmuchpower#appliance. my AC is a no go for EU2000i but will try starting it on shore power and then running it on generater... I plug into shore power as you planned. works great to keep batteries charged. I seem to trip the breaker on the Honda a lot unless I set the inverter to power share and set to draw only pull 20 amps.

RMS: What size gene, 4Kw? It looks tight in engine room for the 1991. I thought 1997 was a 3200?

RMM: I have a 1991 1300 tiara.

Last edited:
Slaunder, there are two versions of the Tiara 31. 198? -1992 and 1992-2004. The 3200 model came out in 2004. Therefore your 1991 is a gen I and my 1997 is a gen II. The Westerbeke is a 4.5 unit. If you look on Yachtworld for a 1997 Tiara 31 in NJ you can see a photo of the installed genny. Bob

Yachtworld for a 1997 Tiara 31 in NJ you can see a photo of the installed genny. Bob

Bob,
I think I saw your GenII yesterday when I was looking for bimini brow setups. I'm adding mine this year and switching to stamoid from sunbrella (wife likes white), buts thats another off topic post. Thanks for your help.

After looking again... maybe I can fit the 4.5Kw. This is you?

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/9/1/6/1/1916161_18.jpg?1273561740000

I saw a used westerbeke 4.5Kw unit used for $3500. Also saw a never used 2 year old westerbeke safe CO 3Kw for $5000.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:
Somehow I forgot to form a question with my last post.

I would think a 4.5 westerbeke gene would hold up well. What do we expect for a typical used item (I think its 10 years old and used in NE boat).

Also, I have never seen a 3Kw on a tiara.

My 1988 31' Tiara has a 4KW Westerbeke that's installed in the center lazarette in the cockpit directly behind the tanks. This pic was when I bought it and have cleaned up and added insulation and gasketing to the underside of hatch. Biggest problem was water leaked thru the hinge and dripped on gen. I added a piece of rubber material under hinges to move water away. I dont like that takes up the whole lazarette but wanted the gen. It was apparently installed by the dealer when boat was originally purchased.

Let me know if any questions I can answer.

107_0762.jpg

Vibration is minimal at most and reduced noise by adding insulation to underside of hatch. A sound shield would prob even reduce a good bit more. Might look around for a decent used one.

Not to sound cheap....but here are a few thoughts in a different direction. We had an ONAN MCCK 6.5 onboard when we bought the old Silverton 34C. We bought a 7Kw Westerbeke used with 320 hours on eBay for $700.00..clearly a good deal from what I am reading. It installed with less space and 100 lbs lighter between the port engine and the transom on a set of rails on top of the stringers. Having re-wired the AC and DC systems on board, our new AC electrical panel has a simple interlock for shore power or generator. It is a 2" slide bar that prevents the breakers from engaging simultaneously. According the the engineer who drew up the plans, our electrical load is easily handled with this system... a 16k air conditioner, microwave, dual voltage refrigerator, and TV entertainment system.We did re-install the intake water and exhaust pathways to increase the flow thru but the entire outlay, thousands of fe et of wire in sizes I never knew existed, 2 separate electrical panels 1 ac and 1 dc, remote start generator panels a new custom made cabinet for the entire starboard side will with acccess doors cost us about $4000. YES, we did all of the work ourselves. This is not our area of expertise but with a lot of research and the help of a dozen guys on this board ( and a S#!tload of work) it all worked perfectly from day one.

Our noise level is low, no detectable vibration, no extra insulation and with this vessel worth MAYBE $45k, no way were we going to drop another 12K into it. The boat does notice the 100 lb weight difference, she leans more to the right at the dock. The rest of it is no different... ONE MAJOR thing I learned that I would have never thought of: you cannot use a scoop on the water intake like we do on our air conditioning pump.... That is the story of how it worked for us. If you need any more details, I would be glad to share my experiences via email...

Back