Logo

Not Getting Enough Fluid in the Lower Unit? 2002 50 hp

captb

Contributing Member
On here, a while back, I asked how much fluid went in the lower unit of an '02 Honda BF 50 A2.

The answer was 17.6 oz.

I finally got around to changing it the weekend and it only took just over 10 oz. before I had fluid flowing out the top plug.

I think I'm ok, just curious what y'all think.

Re: Not Getting Enough Fluid in the Lower Unit?

If you filled from the bottom till it came out the top then you are good to go.-------------Would not hurt to try and add more after an hour or so.

Yes, I did fill it from the bottom. I didn't know there was another way?

I ran it yesterday and "tried" to fit some more in there with no luck (should have put that in the first post).

I guess, I was just curious if something could be wrong with mine to hold just over half of what its "supposed" to...

There is no other way to fill these units.------------Some people have tried to come up with different ways.-----------------I know of some that insisted you could fill from the top!!!

I agree with racerone...as long as you were filling the unit while the motor was vertical, you should be good.

If it makes you feel any better...if the frame serial number is 3213357 ~ later, then the fluid amount would be 13.7 oz. It appears they made a running change that year. The unaccounted for 3.7 oz could be gear lube left in the gearcase in the nooks and crannies.

Mike

Hum....

Well, I ran the motor down, trim down I mean. Pulled the top plug, pulled the bottom plug and let drain for about 2 hours while I washed and waxed my truck. Then, refilled it, from the bottom, like I said.

Wonder where the rest of it was supposed be??!!!

Back