Logo

water pump impeller

48tony

Regular Contributor
i just got a new water pump for a 60esl. do the impeller fins need to be put in a certain direction.clockwise or counter clockwise?was told with new impeller it does not matter i dont want to put it together to find out i put it in with fins backwards. thank you

Looking from the top of the impeller housing rotate the d/s in a clockwise rotation when installing the housing.

Install impeller on shaft ---------------Lower housing on while turning driveshaft in the normal direction of motor rotation.-----------------Don't trust the fellow who said " it does not matter "

thank you. rather be safe than sorry.so it does make a difference.if it was to be put in the other way would it not pump water and over heat?

Outboard waterpumps are elegantly simple.-------------------If you look closely you will see that it operates as a displacement pump at low speed.----------Then at high speed it becomes a centrifugal pump.

As per Racerone's #819 post above, even if the impeller's blades were flexed in the wrong direction, as soon as the engine cranked over, the blades would self correct. It's just a good practice to install them properly in the first place.

Back