Logo

1978 85hp evinrude leaking gear lube

editorizer

Last summer I noticed gear lube leaking from the lower housing. Then I found milky looking lube in the lower case. I will need to order parts and seals. What recommendation - before I tear into the unit - does anyone have concerning parts? The water pump was replaced about 4 years ago and the engine may have 4 hours run time since then. I think the person that installed the pump may not have pressure tested the lower case after servicing the unit. Should I replace every seal in the lower unit along with the water pump or wait until I open it up to order parts? I will say that this has been a really good engine for all the many years at the coast. For the past few years I have kept it in fresh water.

Replacing the waterpump does not affect sealing of the lower unit, not at all.-----------Take it apart first and then order the factory seal kit.----------Seals wear out after many years.

If the drive shaft seals below the pump were install backwards, water will pump into the LU. Other places to look are the prop shaft seals, gear shift shaft O-ring and propeller shaft bearing carrier assembly O-rings.

Sometimes a pressure test may fail to show a leak of the water pump upper or prop shaft outer lip seal in installed up-side down and the inner seal is properly orientated.

Drain the g/c and then pressure and VACUUM check it before disassembly. That way you'll know exactly where it is leaking.

Back