Logo

Water Contamination Alarm... 2007 225 hp

fishingdad

Hi, new to the forum, and I feel bad asking a question right off...

I have an 07 Honda 225 and yesterday while I was out fishing I starting receiving the water contamination alarm.. a piercing on and off beeping.

I quickly got back to the dock under the power of my kicker which ran perfectly... (strange as it's plummed into the same fuel source as my Honda). I emptied the water contamination reservoir and the alarm stopped buzzing...

this morning I went out fishing again, filled the tank and then about 10 miles into my run to the fishing grounds the alarm started buzzing again. I put down the kicker and fished four about 4 hours, I brought my kicker up, and then opened the honda up and emptied the reservoir again... I did my run back to the marina and right before I got there it started yet again...

Has anyone heard of this type thing happening, and if anyone has any solutions, that'd be great... or a way to trouble shoot the source of my problem... I'm thinking of hooking the honda directly to a gas can and see what happens??

Cheers!

Re: Water Contamination Alarm...

There is a float in that reservoir that floats and activates a switch (then the alarm) when there is water in the fuel. If you have no water in it, you may have a bad float/switch. If you are getting water, you should add a water separating fuel filter to your fuel feed to the engine.

The water is not good for your kicker either. It just does not have a water alarm on it.

Mike

Thanks mike, I do have an inline fuel filter... There is water in the reservoir... I haven't checked the recor filter, but if there's no water in it, I guess the problem is between the inline filter and the motor... Maybe a fishing hook punctured the line... I'll check tomorrow.

The onboard fuel water separator can be a bit tricky. In the absence of actual water, three things can go wrong. The float sticks (often intermittently), the connectors on the bottom of the bowl can become corroded, or the sender can go bad. To test the sender, check continuity between the terminals of the two-prong sender. When the float is down, there should be no continuity, when it is up (turn it upside down) there should be continuity.

My racor filter between the gas tank and motor does not have water in it. The water separator inside the motor is full of water, so I will trouble shoot the line between the racor and the motor. I am guessing there's a crack in that line, or perhaps I hooked it with a fishing hook and the lines rest in the wash well.

It sounds like you are on the right track. You probably have a crack in your fuel line and it is laying in the bilge...then it sucks in the water.

Mike

The other possibility is that the Racor is not working properly. That would be unusual, but not out of the question.

Back