Logo

1969 Ford Interceptor Need to Identify Motor & Eaton outdrive ?

1pacosbill

I have a 69 or 70 Ford interceptor that i have no idea what it is,But i did find on the engine a no.BB137123 and the outdrive is a Eaton interceptor no. B223797 and not sure what model it is . the boat is a 20' Arena Craft sierra 200V.I would like to know the HP & cubic inch,and what motor,Plus some information on the model of the Eaton outdrive.

Re: 69 Ford Interceptor Need to Identify Motor & Eaton outdrive ?

Without photos, it's pretty tough to suggest anything to you.

Volvo Penta had some arrangement with Eaton, as to allow their name on several older Volvo Penta out drives.
I will also say that Eaton-Volvo Penta and SBF were somewhat synonymous with each other back then.

Photos???????

Re: 69 Ford Interceptor Need to Identify Motor & Eaton outdrive ?

Bill, here are your photos that I grabbed from the other thread. Thought it best to stick with one thread! :)

Sorry..... they're not showing up as thumbnails!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Ok! Here we go, on the engine block is BB137123 and JB , ED. Then on the outdrive is Eaton interceptor PZ,NR. B223797 Made in sweden
I would like to know the cubic in and HP of the motor and the model of the outdrive.17 spline prop shaft,the spline area is 2-1/2" long and total length of shaft 5-7/8" approx from thread end to face of outdrive, Here are Picture's

Definitely a SBF...... possibly the 289 or 302. You'd need to know displacement, in order to learn what the HP is.
About the best that the 302 did, w/ 4 brl, was approx 200 hp.
I believe that the 2 brl version was approx 180 hp.
Again...... you'd need to know actual displacement!

It is using a much later Volvo Penta style exhaust manifold and riser.... much later than what would be year model correct for that set up.
There must be an adapter to take this diameter exhaust down to the small Y-pipe required for this transom shield.

The out drive is likely a 250.... dead give-a-way by the transom shield and the fill port in the Intermediate housing.
Other than the lower unit using bevel cut gears, prop hardware will be very much the same as is the 270.
Transmission is small bearing.
Drive bellows are all same in the AQ series line.
The SBF likely used a Holman Moody "style/type" PDS adapter housing w/ Borg Warner pattern F/C on engine.
I'd highly recommend that these PDS bearings be replaced!
They are inexpensive, and will save you from a very expensive repair, should they fail!

Where on earth is the Sea Water pump??????
I certainly see the T-Stat housing supply hose..... but do not see a belt driven nor crankshaft pump.
The Volvo Penta I/O has never had an internal sea water pump as does M/C A drive and/or the Cobra drives..... Volvo Penta's have always been engine mounted.
Just curious!

What other drive related questions do you have?

Last edited:
Back