Logo

Diesel fuel filters being used in a Tiara 3100 with gas engines

Ngeogh

Anyone know if it is a problem to use Racor water seperators intended for Diesel fuel in a boat with Crusader 454 gas engines. I removed the filter elements this weekend intending to change them and noticed that they are 2 micron diesel filter elements. Now I am thinking that instead of changing the filter element I should swap out the entire unit for a Racor gas unit. The engines seem to run fine. Thoughts anyone?

Unless your tanks and the fuel source you use are pristine, you will likely clog the filter early due to its fine filtering capability. You could stress the fuel pump (if the filter is between it and the tank) or you could lean out the engine.

You should be able to swap just the filter elements, if needed.

I've talked with RACOR (Parker) on "non-traditional" filter applications and found on many occasions that their 'gasoline elements' were very adequate for 'diesel applications'. When in doubt, give their tech support line a call - or send them an email.

Thanks for the input. My concern was that the ethanol in the gasoline might effect the parts of the water seperator which has plastic drain nuts, vents etc although the unit itself is metal.
Maybe I will just replace the 2 micron diesel element with a 10 micron element and see what happens.

I have a 91 3100 tiara 454s. I have 2 micron paper filters in my racor 200.

I go tank to e micron racor to pump to 20 micron sieria separator to filter on quadjet.

The racor paper filter in 'red' plastic.

E micron is fine before the pump.

Scott:

think you have two issues, both of which should be investigated before the spring startup.

1) aren't the 200 seies diesel filters? If yes, my concern would be for the standard plastic bowl which isn't "approved use" on a quadra-jet equipped engine.

2) Your current setup is taxing your fuel pump. Put the "fine" filter AFTER the fuel pump. Put the coarse one between the pump and the tank (you may want to go up to 30 micron rating, too). You can also delete the coarse filter at the quadra-jet's inlet fittings as it really isn't catching anything after that filtering setup.

Very hard to find my old racor 200's on the parker site... I pulled out the original hard copy installation & service guide (the PO was very good about keeping all the proper documentation).

I was really questioning this until I saw "200 Series Fuel Filter/Water Separator for Diesel and Carburated Gasoline Engines" printed on the front page. The units are all metal. Very different shape then on the racor products web pages. I don't have the see thru bowl. Its metal and the cylinder shape curves in ***y to the drain value.

Ngeogh is that the same as you have?

Mark,
I must have inverted what I have seen Jeff say over and over about leaning out the engines with fine filters after (?or was that before?) the pump!

:mad:I found this by Jeff...

"Running a 10 micron filter BEFORE a fuel pump is Russian Roulette with 5 bullets in in the chamber! It's a matter of time before that filter plugs with some crud, leans out your engine and burns a hole in a piston. Any filter placed BEFORE a fuel pump should be 30 microns or coarser. Put all the 10 micron filters you want AFTER the fuel pump, but not before.

Jeff"

I'll order the 2000-SM 30 micron replacements.

Last edited:
So I cannot find any replacements other then 2 or 10 micron (I'm going to verify with a phone call to parker in AM)... looks like even though Racor sold this product for both gas and diesel in 1991, now its not a good option for gas.

:confused: What would be a good racor unit for me between the tank and pump? I just started looking at the current racor product line...:confused:

Glad you don't have the plastic bowls....I don't believe they are acceptable for diesel inboards either, at least on 'vessels carrying passengers for hire'.

I'd just swap the racors with the sierras - no additional expense, just labor.

I'd be more inclined to think the pump would vapor lock and the engine would stall much faster than you would do any damage due to a lean condition. Lord knows I've seen my share of crud in that huge fuel tank over the past few decades but I've never had the filters clog up from it....filled with water but never clogged.

speaking of filters, if anyone is looking for a pair of the Flo Ezy 238 micron filters, I have them for sale. These are the ones that Floscan recommends as pre filters before the sensors.

Bob

Okay its official... I dont know how to use the internet and my mind is slipping. I called Parker-Racor and its just a matter of getting the 2000PM-OR (30 micron) not the 2000SM-OR (2 micron) that is listed in the documents from racor.

The Racor 200 series are fine for gas as long as you have the aluminum bowl (part 12021).

The mention of diesel all over the documents should not throw you... Tiara used the correct Racors (at least in 1991).

They are color coded (I forgot I used 30 but remebered I used "red"). I'll never forget what is common sense... pre filters more course traps some, then fine.

I hope this helps someone else too... racor200seriesFilters.jpg

Yes. I don't know why all three colors and granularities are printed on the filters but not the part numbers? Had me guessing...

RECAP:
Racor 200 Series fuel filters are okay for both diesel and carborated gas engines. Gas applications recomend metal bowl (part 12021). Replacement filter kits come with two o-rings and choice of 3 granularities:

2000SM-OR = Brown = 2 Micron
2000TM-OR = Blue = 10 Micron
2000PM-OR = Red = 30 Micron

I'm glad I was diligent enough to select the red filter based on the great information from folks here (too bad I didn't retain it properly for the first post in the thread)! Thanks again people!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And we officially removed the color codes for a National Terror Alert rating. Of course I don't know what we replaced it with?

Last edited:
ive been running 10 micron filters between the tank and secondary filter for years with no problems

I have found many people have 10 before and 10 after the pump.
So what is the second filter doing if they are both 10s?
I think Marks point was putting too mucn pressure on the pump, but, that was when I incorrectly said I had 2 mircon before the pump.

how often do you change the pre filter?

I pulled Jeffs comment from another thread, so you might send him a private message (fastjeff), however I have seen him say the same thing many times...

Last edited:
Here are my opinions about gas filters on inboard boats:
Carbed engines only "need" a filter medium capable of 30 microns of filtration.
I"ve seen the 31 tiara have genset issues trying to pull fuel thru a 2 micron filter, shared by one engine.
Run a single, 10 or 30 micron filter before the fuel flow sensor, before the pump. Nothing finer.
Do not run a filter, using a multi-piece body, using O rings, seals, etc. after the pump. Do not run any multi-piece filter on a pressurized line. Running diesels, running fuel injection demands more filtration, carb engines just are not this demanding. Use a single, water seperating type filter for each engine.

Great synopsis DD!

My concern was the pump seeing too much pressure drop with a 2 micron filter between it and the tank.

Most multi-piece filters will tolerate pressurized installation in carb'd setup (nominal 5 psi) - check the specs on your before trying. That said, look where most every OEM install is - suction side.

Other item - check for water accumulation in the bowl frequently on the water separator types. Only the water level rises up to the separating media, it will pass thru. Only cost us two new replacement carbs to learn that lesson - float bowls were NLA even back then.

..."My concern was the pump seeing too much pressure drop with a 2 micron filter between it and the tank."

You ought to be concerned! And so should everyone else who sticks such a restrictive filter BEFORE a fuel pump. All it takes is one bad load of fuel and that thing will plug up, causing fuel starvation and possibly a hole in your pistons! Use 25 to 30 micron filters before the pump with 10 microns after it--carbs don't need anything finer.

Jeff

Back