Logo

fuel in the overflow line on a 454 Crusader with a 4 barrel quadrajet

contender31

Regular Contributor
Need some help - had an excess fuel smell coming from the exhaust and on memory from my last experience of this type I pulled the overflow line on the carb and found fuel in it. Last time this happened it was the fuel pump bad in the other engine which was a brutal job replacing. Before I entertain pulling the fuel pump off - first is there a way of testing the fuel pump without pulling it off the engine or is there something else that may be creating the problem? Note : I recently rebuilt the carb on the engine I am having the overflow issue on.

Thanks for the helpm in advance

As a start...........

I would remove the line from the carb, put the end in a clear container and with blowers on and lots of ventilation, run the engine and see if fuel goes in the line..if it does....looks like a blown fuel pump.

My worst fears starboard engines fuel pump:( I took the overflow line off while the engine was running and the fuel was coming back towards the carb from the fuel pump - I guess its a blown fuel pump diaphram. :mad: I was hoping it was soemthing else but away we go back upside down in the engine compartment again:mad:

Great suggestion i remember how difficult it was to get a standard hex headed bolt on when I tried to install the last one.

Thanks for all your input

Yes, diaphram is gone so you'll have to replace the pump.

12-point bolts are another option for the new pump.

finally, replace the "sight tube" if it is cloudy or starting to harden (it is not called the overflow tube).

Back