Logo

3056T caterpillar

labrador

iam looking for info on this motor and iam wanting to connect it to a 2:1 reduction velvet drive transmission for in a pleasure boat. how do i go about this??? right now its just the bare fly wheel with the holes in it for a plate? what plate would i need for this? do i need a pieace from the motor to the transmission holding them together???

the 3056 marine parts book shows 5 or 6 different couplings and one transmission (2.03:1 ratio)
Is that the transmission you are using? If it isn't the on Cat coupled to, you'll be needing to adapt a coupling.
Here's 2 examples of types they show...
g00749148.gif

g00749442.gif

g00747897.gif

Last edited:
how would i adapt a coupling? the cat 002.jpg this is what i have to work with. the transmission has a spline coming out what plate do i need?

those couplings bolt right to your flywheel/crank flange

as far as the spline - you need to measure it and determine what spline and go see your Cat dealer's Marine/Industrial engine TC (technical communicator) or service manager and try to see if any of those Cat couplings will work

If the trans you have is not a match, then you'll have to pick the closest and enlist the services of a machine shop experienced in that sort of fabricating.

As far as engine mounting to the trans - I dunno what you're dealing with - dry housing/wet housing....if this trans is not similar to what Cat couples the 3056 to, maybe you have a dream...
but generally, you just hang the engine on the crane next to the trans and start measuring/drawing/welding/spending/fabricating

It's called "fitting"... it's the sort of work millwrights and mechanical fitters do. There's no plug and play adapters for two incompatible units. It's all custom work. Alignment is critical.

Last edited:
Back