Logo

60 HP ESL Water pump

48tony

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys,
First off, I want to give thanks for the feedback on my last forums listed below:

1.) Engine block sealants
2.) Carb rebuild kit needle valve part

Mr. Joe R, thanks for a descriptive breakdown of this part that I was in question of.

Now for my question on my water pump. This pump has two main water lines. I imagine one is for in and one is for out. For the most part, the pump housing is in fair shape. There is pitting where the impeller goes, but the housing itself seems to be in good shape. I have been rebuilding this motor and going through all the parts needed. As I have learned a lot on this site, I realize that the water pump is a key part on these Outboards. Should I purchase a whole new water pump? or just buy the parts for the housing; seals, tubes and rubber seals. I notice the new kits seem to be plastic vs. an aluminum casted case. Am I better off keeping my aluminum casted case and put all new inners in it? Or am I better off purchasing the whole unit and go new?

Thanks,

Tony

Best to replace the entire complete water pump kit Tony. Use Bombardier 3M Product #847 sealer (tube) between the impeller housing and the plate...... and also between the plate and the lower unit if no gasket is used in that area. If a gasket is used, use regular gasket sealer (can) which is available at any auto parts store. It comes in a can and has a brush attached to its screw off cap.

Back