Logo

SMOKING Mariner 1997 50 hp

cookie6

Hi all******************** (50 HP 3 CYLINDER 1997 )
Went to launch my boat on the week end , got it in the water started no problems and was ticking over fine ,after*a couple of mins*the revs dropped until she stalled. restarted but this time would not tick over and loads of smoke coming from exhaust after several attempts of stopping and starting with no joy ,it was back on the trailer and home :mad:*
Got home removed the 3 plugs top and middle plugs ok bottom one was black and wet, placed the bottom*plug in the H/T*lead and to earth and cranked engine over strong blue
spark given off plug . Cleaned*all three plugs up and replaced put muffs on and started her up run ok no smoke and ticked over ok :confused:
Any help would be grateful
Steve

Last edited:
Re: SMOKING Mariner

Obviously, you flooded the beejebbers out of it, but why? I suspect the "choke" system that floods the motor with raw gas, to get it fired up when cold, stuck open somehow.

Jeff

Hi All
Thanks for the replys
Changed all the plugs today checked all the carbs for water all ok. Started her up and she ticked over ok for about 5 mins then slowly started to die. Restarted ok and run again with no smoke but still slowly dies if left to idle ,she will rev up if manually operate the carbs any more idea's
Once again thanks for replys
Steve

Time to start checking things-----------------Check fuel pump for holes in the diaphragm-----------check carburetors for flooding / sticking float valves.-------------Is this motor left sitting with fuel in the carburetors for long periods of time ??.

Hi all
Well spent the best part of the day trying to sort this engine out with no luck at the end :mad: .Removed 3 carbs stripped them down cleaned them out with an air line fitted new fuel filter fitted a new fuel tank with fresh fuel. Decided to run the engine in a tank of water .Started her up and again loads of smoke and loads of 2 stroke oil on top of the water, checked the oil injection pump and setting are ok. I think ill check the enrichener valve tomorrow to see if that might be passing .
any ideas
Thanks
Steve

Hi All
Just got the engine to run without any smoke:Dwell not like it was.
I thought I would have one more go at it before I gave in and took it to the dealers
After checking carbs ,fuel , fuel pump , fuel filter ,oil pump,spark plugs,timing and so on ,I decided to remove all three carbs again and also remove the reed plate to see if there might be a problem there,but it was ok clean no missing reeds all looking ok . Just before I put the plate and cabs back on I noticed two rubber like bungs in the casing removed and they turned out to be check valves .They seemed to be a little bit sticky with 2/stroke oil washed in petrol seemed to be working put it all back together and yes she run on idle ok .
Does one know what these check valves do they are between the reed valve plate and the crankcase housing one either side of the middle carb?
Thanks for every ones help on this thread
Steve :D

They Remove /recirculate oil puddled in cylinders ( especially at idle )------------------They wear out !!--------------I have new ones on hand before taking a motor like that apart.

Back