Logo

Ford 1959 312 questions

M.A.M.

I’m in the process of buying a 1959 Chris Craft boat with a Ford 312 engine that has been sitting in storage for 5 years. The seller said he always had trouble with the side draft YH Carter carbs. He recommends buying a more modern engine for the boat but I would like to keep the 312 if it’s in decent shape. Someone recommended that I switch out the intake, and find a used or after market 4 bbl down draft intake with a modern 4 bbl marine carb. What are your opinions? What kind of retrofitting must be done to fit a different intake (i.e. water cooling)? I understand that I might have to add height to the engine housing. Would a new Blue Thunder intake with a 4 bbl Edelbrock 500 CFM marine carb and pertronix ignition be safer and more reliable? Or should I try rebuilding the Carter carbs? Thanks in advance.

Re: Ford 312 questions

I am in the process of rebuilding a 312 from a 59 Higgins. It was converted to a 4bbl down draft years ago and the owner did it because the engine just didn't breath right running at 6000 ft elevation. They cut a hole in the top of the couling and put a crome air filter housing ontop. I will be adding some height to the cover to make it look mostly original.

I understand from some reading that the old side draft carbs were a bit of a challenge to balance.

Good Luck

One of the problems is they give the same adjustments for both carbs. With one going uphill and the other going downhill the float level should be different. I'd find the 4BBL setup and get rid of the headaches.

I officially bought the boat and I will be switching out the intake with a ECZ 9425 B. I need help finding a marine carb for it. I heard a 600 cfm is over kill on a stock engine. Would a Holly marine 450 cfm be a good choice? Relay, do you have pictures of your engine in the boat? Thanks.

Does anybody have any pictures of a 312 with a down draft setup? I would like to see how the water is plumbed to the intake. Thanks.

MAM, congratulations on the purchase. It sounds like your mind is made up about changing the intake over but I wanted to add my 2 cents. I too had poorly working carbs that leaked all over. I just couldnt bring myself to cutting a hole in the engine cover. I found that my carbs didnt have the same # on them so i bought a pair of rebuilt carbs that were the SAME model #. I found the rebuilder on ebay. I set the float levels to the specs in the Interceptor manual. They work perfectly! There's no tuning or syncronizing. The linkages are linked together with an adjuster. All you have to do is adjust that as close as possible with the throttle fully closed. This is done PRIOR to installation! Remember, you have to put it all together (manifold and carbs) before installing on engine. Thats it. Adjust the idle on the forward carb only and GO. This is a plenum type manifold so all the gases are mixing inside anyway. In fact...the engine will run on just 1 carb! Not very well but it'll run.
Think about it at least. That beautiful boat deserves it.

Matt, thanks for the reply. I still haven't decided for sure what I'm going to do. Luckily I don't have to cut any holes in the engine cover, there is plenty of space for a 4 bbl.

Anyone have any infomation about the Hydralic transmission behind the 312 interceptor engine. It has no markings other than F-M 106 on the astern piston housing and FM 107 on the starter motor housing. I am trying to find out what brand it is and if there is anyone out there with parts

Anyone have any infomation about the Hydralic transmission behind the 312 interceptor engine. It has no markings other than F-M 106 on the astern piston housing and FM 107 on the starter motor housing. I am trying to find out what brand it is and if there is anyone out there with parts

I have one I need to sell. Does yours look like this?

2sajqtd.jpg

-Grant
404-680-9666

Grant,

The Photo looks correct. Found out it is a Dearbormatic Transmission. There were 4 models Types A, B, C and D. Do you have other photos. Yours looks like a model A or B. Do you know if it was supplied oil pressure from the engine pump or a stacked two pump oil pump (engine and Trans). Do you have any history on the box. I may be interested in purchase as I am not sure what the problem that I am having is.
Marc
425-888-1536

I am not 100 percent sure. Give me a call and I can describe it to you and if you send me your email address, I'll send you more pictures.

-Grant
404-680-9666

I've had good luck with my YH's. When I got the boat they were leaking bad. Found the diaphrams were all eaten up. Boat starts fine cold or hot. No leaks, been using for two years now. I rebuilt them with the help from Bob Helt's book. This was my first attempt at carb rebuilding. Kits are readily available from many sources. Carbs were standard on Corvettes and Corvairs. "How to Identify and Rebuild Carter YH Carburetors Used on Corvair Turbocharged Engines [Paperback] "
hatopen.jpg

i am looking for any information i can find on rebuilding a "C" model Dearbomatic transmission- parts , manuals and advice. I have a 312 and would like to keep it stock in my Dunphy X-55.

Back