Logo

Help with "cavitation" or other outboard power issues. 2005 150 hp

navemates

I have a 202Sport Nauticstar "deck" boat with a Honda 150 on the back. The issue I have is that the boat is so light yet it is so sluggish out of the hole. In addition when pulling a tube/skier turning creates a large cavitation issue and the RPMs shoot up and power is lost. The engine is as low in the water as possible. Would a fin stabilizer help. Boat design prohibates trim tabs or boat mounted stabilizers. Not sure how to "cure" this issue, love the boat but hates it's proformance during this type of handling. Any suggestions

Re: Help with "cavitation" or other outboard power issues.

Is it cavitation or ventilation? Cavitation is when the propeller causes the water to steam due to chips and nicks. Ventilation is when it sucks air from the surface.

First, what condition is the propeller in?

Lowering the motor will help.---------Fins will help to some degree to stop air from getting to the prop, so worth a try.

Had a similar problem on a small runabout many years ago. Turned out that the prop was spun, but still had enough resistence to run the boat in a straight line at full power, but whenever I tried to nmake sharp turns, it would spin. Borrow another prop you know is good and see if that helps.

Not sure which prop you are running...since the motor is as low as it will go, the fin might help, but a larger diameter prop or a prop with more cup may help to keep contact with the water. Many of the standard Honda props do not have a lot of cup. A local prop shop should be able to add some cup to the prop without affecting the overall performance.

Mike

Well thanks for the input. Sounds like it is "ventilation" and not cavitation. The prop is the original and has a chip or two but still is in good shape. Changing the prop was my first thought but I was not sure which way to go. It seems like I should look at changing the prop first, fins second. Thanks for the help.

Back