Logo

Oil on Valley Pan and Intake Manifold

wh1278

I have been seeing a small amount of oil puddling on the valley pan aft of the intake manifold. I am also seeing a small amount of oil on top of the intake manifold just port of the carb (Carter) in on of the recessed bolt valleys (but on the manifold). Could I have a cracked manifold. Does oil pass thru the intake manifold on the m440? How could it be on top of the manifold? Seeping out of the valve cover onto the manifold then somehow onto the valley pan? I'm not sure about the oil passages on the top end, and haven't ever pulled the intake mani. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Check for a ventilator valve hose leak, cracked or burnt valley pan at the heat crossover, and or loose intake bolts.

"Could I have a cracked manifold" possible

"How could it be on top of the manifold" bad seals and internal crankcase pressure

"Seeping out of the valve cover onto the manifold" wipe it clean and run it again

"Does oil pass thru the intake manifold on the m440?' no, see page 44 in your M440 service manual, pdf manual available for download........ http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/manuals.asp

I would replace the valve cover gaskets and often overlooked thares a gasket or o ring on the dist where it goes thew the intake manafold you would have to pull the dist to change it I would do that first chep and ez then run it agine and check it.

All three of my BB Chryslers have the oil pressure senders near that area. There notorious for spraying oil. Look for the red arrow.

Attachments

• 440oil.jpg
    440oil.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 163
Well I'm not sure the only other thing I can think of right now maybe like the other guy said or your old style of crank case brither that's comeing out of the valve cover and going to the flame adrester with thay hose iv had them spit oil out that don't get sucked in by the carb and show up on the intake especialy on older engines with a lot of time on them cuz thay have more blow by as oil comeing out take a rag and wipe the adrester nf its oily I would say that would maybe what's causing it.

thanks guys, i think it is from the valve gasket on the port side. I know its not the senders because I just changed them this week, and dry as a bone. The yard put single station automotive senders on and my gauges were pegged. Put in dual station (I have a flybridge) senders and they read great now. After the rebuilds I am going in and doing all sorts of minor fixes to get them right. I didnt know enough about the engines and had someone else do all the work....unfortunately not all right. I'm learning as I go and appreciate your help.

I was wondering about an update. Did you find the culprit? I seem to have the same thing and am wondering what you found out. I've changed out my valve cover gaskets a few times with negative results. My flame arrestor gets a film of oil on it. Thanks

I have a similar situation. I have a leak from either the intake manifold or the oil valley cover. When I blow into the top of the valve covers I can feel air coming out from around the back of the intake manifold near the oil pressure sensor pick up. (Can confirm it's not from the oil pressure sensor port)
I found this out after I put a catch can on the pcv and I could hear the suction from the motor.
Any guesses on where it is? It how it could be fixed?

Back