Logo

Gear reduction question & looking for 2 TRS Outdrive lower units 1979 370

DMaxPower

I have a 1979 Spectra Daycruiser with twin 370's with TRS Drives.

Is the gear reduction in the upper unit or the lower unit of the stern drive? I currently have 1.30 reduction in our drives and the lower cases are extremely corroded (salt water). I have found some lowers available however most of them seem to be 1.5 gear reduction.

Also if anyone has a good resource where I can find a set (RH & LH) of reconditioned or good condition TRS lower units please let me know.

Thanks

Re: Gear reduction question & looking for 2 TRS Outdrive lower units

Ayuh,... The TRS drives have been Obsolete for Years...

The Used market is the Only market....

Thanks Bondo, I know this and was inquiring about used TRS Drives in either reconditioned or good condition.
Any good resources for "used" TRS Drives?

Chiefalen,

To my knowledge sei, as of last September, has not produced TRS replacement components. I have not
checked since then but maybe something has changed?

Ayuh,... I donno where to look for 'em,... Try Google....

A Bud took 3 of 'em off his boat, 'n bought the transom adapter plates to mount 3 BravoIIIs...

The drives are long gone, 'n all that left is a few transom parts...

For what he spent on those aluminum adapter plates,...
I'd have glassed it in, 'n recut for Bravos myself....
Coulda paid for 1 of those 3 Bravos.....

I don't want to slam the 3.7 most who read my stuff know i ain't a fan. Me i would look for a donor boat and remove what you have and install the good stuff from the donor.

Tons of boats with a bad motor or motors but good drives from the flywheel back. Alot of boats here with 170's 3.7 or whatever you want to call them.

Then again a inline six put out the same hp as your 3,7 maybe the drives off those.

Everything i posted might not be what you want to hear but this is your chance to upgrade, cheaper then replacing those drives with the same hard to find parts drives.

Last edited:
I think he has 370HP big block V8s Chief, not 3.7Ls

TRS is a go-fast version of the TR drive for V8's

Yes Hystat, we have the 370HP big block V8s. Thank you all for your help but I think I found what I was
looking for through Mel Riggs Marine...amazing fellow with a lot of knowledge and has access to N.O.S.
Mercury Racing & Mercruiser parts.

Ditto Chief on this, and mainly due to these being obsolete, and expensive when you do find one!
A 1979 Spectra Daycruiser can't be all that large! The TRS is fairly bullet proof, but is likely not necessary!

There is a man somewhere in the Seattle Washington area, who specializes in these TR and TRS drives. I know this because he purchases used TRS parts from my friend who owns a marine salvage yard.
However, I don't recall his name, or how to locate him.
Try searching.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...+seattle+washington&pbx=1&fp=2d73bcec2e6e3c54

Or, try getting a hold of Brad at Fairview Marine in Oregon. Brad may even have these parts.

Last edited:
Hi Rick,

Thank you, it would be nice to have a parts resource closer to home in the NW. I will check out your link - again thanks for
the info.

These are the drives that had the transmissions, no shifting in the drive ?

If i am correct there were 2 types of transmissions, velvet, and merc. If i remember correctly i saw them, years ago they never went.

But after i typed never above i looked at the word and nothing lasts forever, so never came for the op.

I regret that i intruded into this thread cause i re-read what i posted and nothing i wrote helped one bit.

Good luck in all your endeavors !

Back