Logo

Clinton 7 hp bogs out on full throttle...

jspansel

Hello everyone... Just picked up a K700 Clinton 7hp. Guy I got it from said he went through it all and stripped and fully cleaned out the carb, etc.

It ran great in a barrel, idled smooth, revved up nicely. Got it out on the water and let it warm up. It took of great full throttle then after about 10 seconds it just bogged out and almost died. I could then only take it about 1/2 throttle or else it would bog out.

At the end of the day, I tried it again and it ran fine full throttle for a solid 10 minutes. I just decided to play around and see how long it would go. After 10 mins I decided to let off. It then died and I could hardly even get it started back up again. Once I could, it would bog out with almost ANY throttle.

It is also spitting out some gas at the adjustment screw on the left side of the carb... AND when I turned the motor off, there was some pretty good smoke at the base of the power head. Could that just be because the gas/oil mix is leaking from the carb and getting hot? I know nothing about carbs :( The primer bulb stays firm from what I could remember so I dont think its an air leak.

Does anyone have a manual for this thing? This is my first outboard...

Back