Logo

1960 Evinrude Lightwin 3hp, type 3034, fuel/oil mix???

Sigean

Hi,

New to this forum and to the Evinrude Lightwin. Mine is a 1960 model, it seems in good condition and in terms of design is light-years in advance of the Seagull I have, and I want to keep it that way! I am confused as to the correct fuel/oil mix. I contacted Evinrude and was told 50:1 was correct, but the engine was made at a time when 25:1 was current lubrication technology, and others have suggested 16:1 might be appropriate. Is there any definitive advice out there?

By the way, is there any salt neutraliser I might use for flushing? I will be using the engine in the sea.

Peter

Hi, I'm a Pete also. . .and have a 1960 3034 as well. I just got mine running after rebuilding the carb, and I used a 24:1 which smoked a lot. I've read previous threads that say 50:1 will work, as long as it's TC-W3 or better. Then again, I've seen some that say it won't, because the older motors used bronze crank bushings instead of roller bearings. So, I guess I don 't have a definitive answer. Likewise, I'm not much help w/ saltwater...I'm strictly freshwater. But having seen one long ago, I agree it's a step up from a Seagull.

Many thanks for the reply. I used the engine for the first time yesterday, and it worked fine. I used a 25:1 ratio, with a biodegradeable oil, having taken the advice from someone on another forum suggesting that in the absence of any definitive advice, 25:1 is the best compromise for all two-strokes. He seems to be correct - no problems at all and the engine runs like a sewing machine. As for the Seagull, whilst a little agricultural, they seem to be the most reliable engines on the planet. But a little rough, compared with the sweet Lightwin. I now have a 6hp Evinrude and hope for similar performance, although with a 50:1 fuel mix - and a bigger boat!

Kind regards, and the photo shows my little Northumbrian Coble on the etang in southern France yesterday, with the Lightwin on the transom,

PeterCoble Evinrude email.jpg

Since I'm in salt water more than fresh, I'll chime in here. All you need is a little tool we call the ears. They fit on the lower end and you hook up the garden hose. Turn it on. You can run the motor if you like, but it's not essential. You need no chemicals.

As for Sigean's comment concerning the British Seagull, I enjoyed your humorous assessment of that boat anchor. I don't think there was ever a more poorly built and designed motor on the planet. And 10-1 oil ratio? I should have been a diesel. I'd rather row, I'd get there faster.

Just acquired a 1960 JW 16 Johnson 3 hp Lightwin.. coils were a mess as was the carb.. new coils,points , condensors, rebuilt carb... the old girl is running
like new... at 25:1 TC-W3 Amsoil

Back then they just used 30w motor oil with leaded fuel. Now a days with unleaded the TWC-3 oil is a blend to protect the internal parts. TWC-3 atands for two stroke water cooled -3 is the lead equilavent.

Uh, actually it's TC-W3. The TC indicates 2 cycle oil, W indicates the oil is suitable for water cooled engines, and the 3 on the label means that it is a third-generation oil. The TC-W3 certification replaced the earlier designations TC-W and TC-WII, and indicates that the oil has passed additional testing procedures designed to exclude inferior oils.

Back