Logo

1999 yamaha 9.9hp 4 stroke choke

rjw4259

Contributing Member
Will an Evinrude choke cure choke problems on a 1999 Yamaha 9.9hp 4 stroke outboard? I was told that it can be done on a 150hp successfully, just wondering if that is even true? I have a 1999 9.9hp 4 stroke Yamaha that has perpetual cold starting problems. Unless I remove the cowling and cover the choke screen with my palm it won't start. That gets a little tiresome having to do that every time I want to start the engine, especially if I have to do it on the water. If an evinrude choke in fact will fit and will work better what are the parts I need to order and does anyone have any experience with doing this and how? lot of questions but I really need help with this motor?? Bob W

You can install a manual primer from an OMC ----found on the later motors , say around the late 80's early 90's---------- 20 / 25 /30 HP--------------just the primer / nipple and some hoses/ and some research.

i am new here but have a 2000 9.9 4stroke. it has been trouble from day 1. its a long story but i bought it new the dealer went out of biz and all the work i had done i paid for. does yours have a choke? mine does not it has a fuel enrichment system. i finally found a mechanic that called yamaha techs and changed the linkage adjustment under the carb. also the only way to start mine is to put it in gear rev the throttle 3x go back to neutral and pull. this fixed starting problem i posted a different problem im having now.

Back