Logo

Please Help! Is my lower end toast or is it my prop?

Bassassasian101

Ill make it simple.. In a moment of stupidity I bought a boat without test driving it!
*650 65hp Mercury outboard *late 1960's i think..
here are the symptoms:
  1. Engine Fires up first turn of the key
  2. Immediately is in forward I assume ( Starts moving without switching neutral)
  3. No reverse
  4. Engine will not reach plane
  5. With the throttle 3/4 the way down it goes about 10 -15 km/h
  6. With throttle fully down it sounds like its got a sh!t ton of power, but immediately starts reving and spitting worling and sputting**water of the back it looks like it has plenty of power but no gears and no speed.
  • One last problem the steering wheel is hard as hell to turn you need both hands on the wheel and use alot of force to turn the outboard aounds scrapey scratchy sound.
I know i made a bad decision buyer beware I guess but it's to late now as i Might as well bring it to driving order.:mad:
So I guess my question is what do you think the problem is and how much would you figure it will cost to get it fixed. I will probably have to get it fixed has I am not a mechanic and am seriously mechanically inclined.

Im 19 and this is my first boat so if there is a cheaper way to repair my boat as im juggling school and a part time job so money is tight.
If someone who is knowlegable on the subject and could diagnose me and tell me estimated price I would greatly appreciate it!
Thankyou
Bassassasian101

Ok first things first,if it starts in gear,either the gear box is out of sync with the control box or your neutral safety switch is kaput.First make sure your shift lever is in neutral on the control box and try and start,if it starts it's probably the safety switch inside.But if it's moving at this stage your shift shaft is not in correct.Drop the gearbox then,check if you have F-N-R. Then making sure your control box is in neutral put them back together and check if your shift lever gives you the corresponding gear.Let's know how you get on.
On the other issue,spun prop maybe. BOAT= Bet On Another Thousand £ $ €'s:D:D
Post number and some one will give you the year,it's to be found on the swivel bracket on plate.

Last edited:
Okay first and for most.. Whitby is near toronto ontario 40 minutes east on the 401 toward kingston.

Second okay so ill try my best to evaluate the shifter but im not mechanically inclined.. And for the lower unit or spun prop i hope its only a spun prop geez i cant afford anymore big problems What would happen if the lower unit was broken? how could you tell?

1. Some dope put the lower unit on with the shifter rod out of position. Drop it and correct that and you'll be fine. (Buy a manual from THIS site to see how it's done.)

2. Your prop hub is spun. Pull prop, send to a prop shop, and have the hub replaced (or buy a new prop).

3. Your swivel is frozen up--common problem. Try forcing grease in via the fitting and, if that doesn't work, heat the swivel area with a torch and THEN try to jam some grease in. Naturally, you do this with the motor OFF the boat with the fuel system drained.

Jeff

This Saturday the Maple Leaf Chapter of the AOMCI has a meet near Toronto.---------------------Take your motor there and ask all the questions you want.-------------Lots of Knowledgeable folks will be there.-----------------Look up the directions on their website.------I knew there was a Whitby near Toronto, but there might be one in New Zealand too.

Back