Logo

Engine rotation for CC 1982 350 QL & 350Q

Justin not sure if u got my last send I'm new on this sight and all bt fords ok done the right way and so is chev and most others in a boat and most cars parts are up but what's not? ? Don't know were your at but here on chgo its cold. And after working and working on my boats I picked up enother going in this spring my go fast to get away for a min yes a chev jet boat Corvette 396 .

I think there is some comparing 'apples to oranges' here. About the only thing that is pretty much 'standard' in the marine industry is the rotaion of the propellers. Port prop is left hand (CCW when viewed from the transom), and the starboard prop is right hand (CW when viewed form the transom).

The engines traditionally match this, but with reduction gears, reverse gears, V-drives, Z-drives, flywheel forward engines, and flywheel aft engines, any engine rotation can be made to match that standard propeller rotation scenario.

Ned, I would agree for the most part on that basis alone.... but it does not change anything to the industry standard for determining the rotation of an engine.
See post # 9 again.

As I suggested to the OP, I could find him another 5 sources on this, if he wanted me to.
It is an industry standard that is pretty tough to argue against.
Again...... who knows what ChrisCraft had done to deviate from this. It may be as simple as having their own designation.

Setting apples/oranges aside for a minute....., let's talk Volvo Penta, and some Mercruiser I/O's.
Twin Volvo Penta I/O's do not use a counter rotating engine. The "change" to prop direction is done via the out drive upper unit gear selection. (all gears are reverse prop direction capable)
Port = LH prop..... Stbd = RH prop.... pretty darn standard, IMO.
I believe that Twin Mercs, with the A drives, does similar... but requires a unique drive for the LH propeller (Port side).

In either scenario, these engines are Std LH rotation engines..... same as car/truck.
Does that sound reasonable? :)

OK.... none of this is to say that we may not find a RH engine in a Port side installation..... and/or a LH engine in a Stbd side installation..... depending on the transmission configuration, and engine orientation (flywheel end FWD..... flywheel end AFT)

It's sortta like going to a specialty hardware store in search of a 3/4" NC LH hex nut.
It doesn't matter if the bolt is placed horizontally, vertically or diagonally..... if you need a 3/4" NC LH hex nut...... you need a 3/4" NC LH hex nut!
(I know.... silly analogy)

Again, don't know what ChrisCraft was doing regarding this.
I was hoping by now that a real CC expert would chime in.

Last edited:
Rick, Agreed, I was just sort of pointing out that it's not always as easy as left hand engine = port side & right hand engine = starboard side.
While on this topic, and along that lines of people will do what they want to. I was in San Carlos Mex. recently & was looking over a 31' Luhrs that had just been pulled. I thought it a bit curious when I saw a right hand prop on the port side, and a left hand prop on the starboard side. .... oh well.

Rick, Agreed,
  1. I was just sort of pointing out that it's not always as easy as left hand engine = port side & right hand engine = starboard side........
  2. I thought it a bit curious when I saw a right hand prop on the port side, and a left hand prop on the starboard side. .... oh well.
Ned,
  1. NO..... I fully agree with you. It absolutely depends on what the OEM did. :)
  2. I've also seen this before. It is somewhat wierd, when you are used to the conventional orientation.

it maters how you want the boat to work

if the the pops both spin in, you have more speed (rh prop on port, lh on starboard)
if the props spin out, the boat handles better (lh on port, rh on starboard)

Hmm, interesting thought. I know they handle better in "normal" rotation. This is the first I've heard about more speed in "opposite" rotation. Makes a bit of sense I guess. Thanks!

Yea ned this is glenn iv never herd of that nether speed for a boat as I know mostly depends on hull type and horse power / torque the only thing I can think of is maybe by forceing the prop wash in on its self you might get a little more push but I don't think it would be much and not to good if you could not drive the boat well.

thats how it works

its like a jet when forcing the water in so you get more top speed

look at the performance sport fishiers

That's prity good its a 1974 Cc twin 307s the book says 200 hp each max 31 footer I'm fixing just went thew one engine / port shop tells me I can change shaft dir wth the trans / paragons props I can dig thew a pile of them that they the shop frinds of mine get chep for scraping them you think that would be a ez way to go faster I need it to steer well though being ill be running mostly on the river here.???

the whole counter rotating motor on the outside is more like maneuvering at the harbor
if you have them both spinning in you will move quicker
spinning out you will maneuver slower

you can gain almost 10 MPH on some hulls
I've never before heard a claim like this! Hmmm.

That's prity good its a 1974 Cc twin 307s the book says 200 hp each max 31 footer I'm fixing just went thew one engine / port shop tells me I can change shaft dir wth the trans / paragons.........
I believe that the older ZF Hurths can be Bi-Directional, and some of the aluminum housing Borg Warner Velvet drives can be Bi-Directional.

Otherwise, be careful with where you receive your information. You can cause serious damage to a transmission if operated in reverse, for FWD thrust!

its based on hull types
just look how the sport fishers are
like Rampage, CABO, Lurs and so on
they all spin in
a good set of props blueprinted can do this also

Over the years from 1960 through the last 1970's, Chris Craft mounted the engines backwards (so-called flywheel forward) in a variety of boat models so that the engines would fit under the lower decks designed by their stylists. They did this originally with the 283 SBC and later the 327, the 350 and later, I believe with the 305. They were all labeled "Q" and they made thousands of these installations. No, there was never a "Q" version of the 427 Ford. A few other manufacturers adopted the practice (Owens comes to mind). If you own a boat with Q engines, treat items like the motor mounts and other accessory brackets and mounts with care because they are no longer made and are getting hard to find.

If it is not a marine rated starter, LH or RH won't matter. The boat will blow up one day with an automotive starter in it....and that's the bottom line!!

Ok update the dists both have the same gear cut but I got the starboard engine cranking and it turns same as prop from flywheel end / frount Lh and the port s Rh the dists turn the same what a pain. Now I need a starter thay are not marked Lh /Rh is there a way to tell with out running them like if looking at a piel of them.

Hmm, interesting about engine rotation, learn something new every day. And yep, it was a Luhrs that I saw what I had considered to be 'backwards' prop rotations on. I wonder when they (Luhrs) started doing that??

1. Ok update the dists both have the same gear cut ........... the dists turn the same what a pain.
  2. Now I need a starter thay are not marked Lh /Rh is there a way to tell with out running them like if looking at a piel of them.
  1. Why is this an issue for you? Just curious! Whether the gear cut is same or not....., camshaft rotates standard or not........, the distributor will rotate "Standard CW" on both RH and LH SBC Marine engines due to the oil pump orientation!
  2. Very simple! Whether a Bendix Drive or Solenoid Actuated Arm starter motor......... the pinion gear will be "Srague Clutch" equipped. This means that the pinion will "free-wheel" in one direction (the normal direction used to crank the engine over). Use this to determine the rotation of the "piel of them" starter motors! :cool:

Boy, now I am totally confused.

I always thought that the terminology was Standard Rotation and Reverse Rotation, that is Right Hand and Left Hand.

My Chris Craft, which I love, has a Buick V6 in it, and it is stated on the Intermediate Case that it is RH Rotation, and when looking from the front of the motor, the Water Pump end, it is Right Hand Rotation, which is the same as in the Automotive world.

I had to purchase a Reverse Rotation Starter for a client, and it had to come from California, as it was $500.00 cheaper than buying it here, and that engine was a LH Rotation, as viewed from the front.

Bruce.

Bruce, No matter what.... the engine hand is determined by viewing the engine from the flywheel end.
Yes, either terminology is correct, IMO. Std/Rev.... or RH/LH.
Anyone who has been in the Marine biz for any length of time, will understand this.

Bruce, this thread was started by member "thetumbleweed". His original question concerned two ChrisCraft 350Q engines! One 350Q, and one 350QL.
These install flywheel end FWD, and it was obvious that they turned opposite from one another.

After extensive explanation and examples, he could still not understand that ChrisCraft determines engine rotation differently than the rest of the entire Marine Industry. He wanted to hear ONLY that which he had a pre-conceived idea of! There was NO changing his way of thinking! He eventually got pissed off, and left the thread.

Now the thread is continuing, and there are still questions.
If you'll go back and read posts #5, #7, #9, #12 (and you can pretty much stop reading there) you'll be up to speed.
It's all right there in black and white, with several good images to help explain it.

Hope that helps, rather than add to further confusion! :D

Back