Logo

2001 Tohatsu 9.9 hp Fuel Pump Issue?

gdurhamu2

My 9.9 will run and idle fine when I disconnect the fuel line. When I reconnect the fuel line, it bogs the motor down. Will still try to idle, but loads up. I replaced the fuel line along with new gas tank in case I had a leak somewhere and it still does it when I connect the fuel line.

I use the blue fuel stabilizer and follow my dealer's instructions on fuel to the letter. Ethanol here in Oregon is a boat engine killer. I don't know about elsewhere but when
I get back to the boat ramp, I always "DC" the fuel line and let the 9.8 run out all the remaining fuel in the carb, then I open the drain-screw on the side of the carb and let it drip whatever fuel is left (EPA disaster, OH NO.........). Then I elevate the fuel connector and slightly press in on the spring-detent to let the remaining fuel run back out of the fuel line and back into the tank.

The two times I ignored my dealer's instructions where the two times I had to take the whole carb apart and clean it.

No problems since except the big boat guys still laugh at my little 12 Jon boat............

Always prudent to run the carb dry at the end of the day. Always was a good idea; now it's even more important. Not just for the alcohol, but the gas itself has fewer and poorer stabilizers as it comes out of the pump.

Back