Logo

Having trouble shifting in reverse...need help. 1990 115 hp

Creepin_D

First off, this post may get a bit winded while I try to explain my situation..so sorry in advance.

I have a 1990 Yamaha 115hp outboard and a Yamaha 703 Remote Control Box. Sometimes the motor will go in reverse and most times it will not.

When it will not go in reverse it makes a "grinding" noise because the "teeth" are not meshing. When I turn off my motor and put my control arm on my control box full forward and full reverse, then put it back in netureal and start the motor, it sometimes will go in reverse, but not all the time.

Also, when I shut the motor off and turn the prop with my hand, you can feel a "click", like the motor is not fully in netureal. This problem is solved by moving the control arm back towards the reverse postion maybe an inch.

I am thinking that it make be a linkage issue or maybe the control cable has to be adjusted. Can anyone tell me if indeed this is my problem, and if so where and how do I make the adjustments.

Thanks

Before you adjust the cable. Look at the lower unit. Just above where the lower unit mounts on the front of the engine you will see a small section of the shift rod. How rotted is it?

hi

I have the same problem, could you please advice to fix the shift rod do I have to open the engine and remove it ?

regards

I am not near my boat right now to check everything, but I will when i get a chance. Some people are telling me it may be the clutch dog as well. Do you guys agree with this?

Outboard controls should not be " shifted " if the motor is not running--------------Bad, Bad operating technique.

It is all going to be an adjustment issue. But if your shift rod is almost rotted through you can adjust it all you want, it will still not shift correctly.

Racerone is correct, do not shift the controls unless the engine is running or a second person is rotating the propeller. If your shift rod is weak from rust, shifting with out the engine running will twist the rod and put you out of adjustment.

This sentence from your original post tells the story.

Also, when I shut the motor off and turn the prop with my hand, you can feel a "click", like the motor is not fully in neutral. This problem is solved by moving the control arm back towards the reverse position maybe an inch.

It is all going to be an adjustment issue. But if your shift rod is almost rotted through you can adjust it all you want, it will still not shift correctly.

Racerone is correct, do not shift the controls unless the engine is running or a second person is rotating the propeller. If your shift rod is weak from rust, shifting with out the engine running will twist the rod and put you out of adjustment.

This sentence from your original post tells the story.

Also, when I shut the motor off and turn the prop with my hand, you can feel a "click", like the motor is not fully in neutral. This problem is solved by moving the control arm back towards the reverse position maybe an inch.

I was not aware that shifting with the motor off was a no no. So if my shift rod is ok, where do I make the adjustments to fix my problem?

the 200 225 and 250 had problems with the shift rods, they used cheap metal and it would corrode
have not seen any lower HP problems as of yet

if you see any rust, you might need to replace it
and it is not a fun job at all

I have changed a hand full of these rods on the lower HP engines. I don't know what it is about the Jersey Shore, but it is common here.

If your rod is good, you will make the adjustment on the engine. You want to adjust for neutral.

Back