Logo

detroit marine 8.2liters- Rpm problem

thinesh10

hi there..

anyone can help me out i am running with twin detroit 8.2liter, both of the engine have been overhaulled after a sea trail one of my engine isnt giving the rpm, the other engine is giving me 2500 rpm but the other engine is onli giving me 2000 and it suddenly just drop to 1900 recently. can anyone advice me what is happening and how can i solve it. thanks

thinesh
[email protected]

Yeah, Marv is right, compare your out of gear no load speed to what the other engine's is. It's good that you have a well running engine to make comparisons with. If no load is the same for both but it's different when loaded, the issue is probably fuel pressure or volume.

Getting full throttle is the first thing to verify and that includes making sure the throttle controls and cable are good, not binding and all the connections are tight.

Last edited:
Hi marv,jgmo

The no load rpm is fine I am Gettin 3450 on both engine. Ya I have to go down to check for the fuel pressure, ther is no problem at the cables we have directly use our hands to operate the governor lever and it's stil no same no different. By the way Tis is a turbo engine which is using recon units for both.

Thanks

is the engine black smokeing? check your tackometer, fuel pressure,have you hit enything that mit have ding the prop

no the props and shaft are all up re-pitch back.. this problem has came wen sea-trial after overhauling so shouldn't be the props. ok added to the problem the port engine which is giving the problem idling at 600 and was hunting aft changing the racor and diesel filter it still have a slight hunting but better. wen i engage the gear the engine will die off after turning my boat. has for the starboard engine the idling is at 500 and the engine dun die off compare to the other.. the both engine injector timing has been done.. nope its only steam which is coming out while running.. wen idling lots of white smoke.

thanks

still mit be high fuel pressure,white smoke may be from bad injector , bad tune up,worn rings.fuel pressure should run from 45-70 psi ,min 35

Alrite but this psi reading should be at what rpm with or without load. whats the psi reading if runnin at 1000 with load. Which engine oil is best for this engine I am currently using mobil 15w-40 engine oil and other better for this engine.

Back