Logo

New Tohatsu tach in a new Tohatsu 30 hp doesn't work!!

firetiger

30 hp Tohatsu 20 minutes in tank total running time
Electric start/tiller

dealer installed the tach wire harness ( 2 wires ending into a molded plug)

I was to mount tach and plug it in (only one matching plug).

Started OB, tach arm doesn't move not even a twitch

dealer not open until Tuesday! Any suggestions what may be wrong?

Redmond WA

I'm assuming you have the MFS30B, EF type, right? Depends on which tach you have, how it's set, and how it's wired.

Until recently, there were only 2 Tohatsu tachs that were setup for that motor: 3N8-72640-1 with the oil warning lamp, intended for EP type (remote) motors, and 3B7-72530-2 without the oil lamp, intended for tiller-steered motors. Lately, you can get the newer 3AC726400M (black face), and 3AD726400M (white face) units. I believe these both have oil lamps. The tachs also have night lighting. The meter is operated by the alternator output pulse... should be a white wire coming from the harness on the motor. The other harness wire, yellow, is the ground reference.

If you have a tach that has the oil warning lamp, you need to confirm that you did not accidentally connect to lamp wires on the tach. If you connected the tach output from the motor to either the night lighting circuit or the oil warning lamp, the tach meter won't work. Another thing to pay attention to is that the tach must be set for 12-pole operation for use with the MFS30. There is a setting switch on the back of the meter. If that's set incorrectly, the tach won't operate correctly... But that usually results in the tach working, but giving an incorrect reading. Another possibility is that you have the white and yellow wires reversed. That would result in the tach always showing Zero RPM no matter what.

Tach has black face with description on side

TACHOMETER LOW OIL LIGHT
TOHATSU P/N
TO8138A
W/O 275375
DATE 05-04-10

Doesn't match anything you suggested?

What do you think?

That sounds like the subcontractor manufacturer's number, so it's likely 3AC726400M, the new model with low oil light. What color wires are on it? Should be white/yellow for the tach signal, and others for the low oil lamp, as well as for the night lighting. Is there a rotary switch, or a jumper setting for number of poles? Should be set to 12-pole.

Agree with wire connection comments.The outboard model is MFS30B 3AC The tach instruction sheet lists the tach as 3AC-72640-0.iNSTRUCTION MANUAL APPLIES TO MFS 30B EP/EPT/EPG.

Manual instructions are for a remote setup. No mention regarding tiller model.

Tried again. Same nothing!

Steve

Last edited:
Make sure you have the appropriate 12v for the night lighting, and confirm that you are wired correctly for the signal. That model tach may require 12v to operate; I haven't installed that specific model yet, so i can't say for sure, but many many tachs do require 12v to operate.

Called, they were very helpful. we're missing 12v to the tach. Instructions were provided and I'll work on it this afternoon.

Thanks for your help!!

Steve

Back