Logo

Nissan 18, 2006, Lower unit gear replacement

yourflorida

Morning all.

Whacked something, trashed bevel gear and the "a gear" in lower unit.
I have it broken down, but I cannot figure out how to get the "a gear" (the one in the back of the lower unit housing) out of there. I see nothing holding it.
Manual is useless, says "after removing drive shaft, bevel gear nut and bevel gear REMOVE "A gear".
Any tricks?
I tried inverting and tapping unit. Gears rotates freely, not jammed.
Thanks.
Rob.

Often you have to heat the lower unit to expand it.---------------Start with pouring boiling water over the area ( on the outside ) where the gear is located.---Try bumping the lower unit on a bench.----------Continue heating with a small propane torch.

Often you have to heat the lower unit to expand it.---------------Start with pouring boiling water over the area ( on the outside ) where the gear is located.---Try bumping the lower unit on a bench.----------Continue heating with a small propane torch.

NO. That's a great way to wreck the housing.

We should have your MODEL. The year is unimportant for servicing, but precise model/serial is critical. I'm assuming you are working on an NSF18B2, right?

Don't put a torch to the housing (as was suggested) to expand the bearing and housing. The uneven heat can crack or warp the LU housing, and can carbonize the LU lube in the forward ball bearing, aside from the obvious burning-off of the paint, etc. The boiling water trick might work, and a warm electric-fired oven could also expand the housing a bit for you, but those techniques are pretty cumbersome.

There is a special/expensive internal gear/bearing puller that will work. Some old-time OB shops use them. You could likely buy or rent one from your local auto parts or tool rental house. But they are expensive, and require a little expertise to use. FWIW, The gear is not retained by any clips or pins; It's just floating in a very-close-fitting bearing. The bearing likewise is a very-close-fit to the LU housing.

There are 2 regularly-used methods to extract the A gear.

The first method is strictly mechanical: Pull it out, using a pliers-type tool that will fit between the housing and the rim of the gear. Most shade-tree shops don't have such a tool. Or, a few stiff whacks of the housing on a soft wood bench surface (prop end down) will usually get the gear out. Sometimes the bearing comes out with it. This works over 90% of the time, as long as there isn't any rust on the gear's bearing journal.

The second way is hydraulic, and was used all the time to pull clutch pilot bushings from the crankshafts of car motors. Make sure the shift rod and bushing are still fastened in the LU, to contain the hydraulic pressure you are going to create. Inject regular chassis grease into the cavity in the center of the gear until it is completely full. Use a "needle greaser" adapter for your grease gun, and try not to get too many air bubbles in the grease load, as air compresses easily, and you need non-compressible medium in the cavity. Then slide the close-fitting prop shaft and push rod into the gear part way. It should bottom in the grease before it is seated in the bore. Then whack the end of the shaft (rapidly) with a mallet (not a steel hammer that might damage the threads on the shaft), and the hydraulic pressure will pop the gear out.

All that said, be sure that you also inspect the B (pinion) and C (reverse) gears, as well as the lugs of the clutch dog, very closely. The pinion takes the brunt of the wear, but any damage to one gear can/will hurt the faces of the teeth of the other 2 gears as well. You may need more than just the A gear. And when you reassemble everything, don't forget to set the lash (by using the appropriate shims), or all your work will be for naught. If the lash is not correct, the gears will self-destruct. Full information on the lash is in the Factory service manual, available from any dealer (including me). If you are using an aftermarket manual, consider using it for a more appropriate purpose, such as a doorstop, or woodstove tinder.

I carefully heat ----" non Nissan "------lower unit castings all the time.-------------Maybe Nissan aluminum is more prone the cracking and warpage.

I carefully heat ----" non Nissan "------lower unit castings all the time.-------------Maybe Nissan aluminum is more prone the cracking and warpage.
Doubtful. Odds are that your skill level with a torch is much better than the average back yard mechanic. I have used a number of techniques when servicing motors that I would never suggest to the novice servicer. I have seen the results of an owner attempting to use advanced skills for the first time, often with horrible results. Better for the newbie to pop the gear out mechanically, rather than toasting the LU. FWIW, I have been known to toss an aluminum head in the (electric-fired) oven to warm and expand it to assist with removing old rusty bolts.

So no luck so far.

Tried the "grease behind" trick, didn't work because there is a gap near where the drive shaft comes down.

I have my new parts, it appears the gear in question has a bit of bevel to it, if a tool could grab that area it may get a grip.... there is just no easy trick on this one.

I would love to see what the "tool" from Nissan looks like, maybe an expanding shaft that goes into the center and expands to grab the sides, then what?

Arrrghhh.

Thanks for all of the great responses.

I don't know a thing about the "shim" process, as mentioned earlier.... I am willing to purchase a better manual as mine is lacking.

Any tips/tricks on the shimming?

Rob.

The "special" gear puller is just that -- a gear puller, that loads against the LU housing. But they are low-production tools, and pricey. A similar tool is used to extract the A-gear bearing if needed.

In order to set backlash, you need a lever clamped to the prop shaft, equipped with a dial indicator, and measure how much "slop" is in the gears when in forward. Changing the shim pack below the water pump housing and seal determines how deeply the B gear engages the A gear, which determines the backlash or "slop". Full info is in the Factory service manual. Many times it's best to just have a dealer with these tools do this kind of work.

The "special" gear puller is just that -- a gear puller, that loads against the LU housing. But they are low-production tools, and pricey. A similar tool is used to extract the A-gear bearing if needed.

you can get this tool at harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html

Its about 70 bucks. I returned it the same day after using it for 3 minutes to pull that back bearing and bevel gear on my Nissan ns5b. I used the smallest attachment that came with the kit. using the correct tool for this job is key.

Back