Logo

Are people crazy?

corsair23

Regular Contributor
Just saw an ad on E-Bay for a Driveshaft / Ball Gear combo.The one that is shaft / Ballgear complete ( the one that the Ballgear cant be removed from) The ********* wants $995. Says it list for $1200.00
Completely impossible to believe.

Anyone have a part number for this? My intermediate is a HUE 13, if I remember correctly.

what year you got i have 2 complete i can't use, off i think a 77', the transom bearing retainer is a triangle. Count the splines on the shaft and then post it and i will dig it out of the basement. And i'll count the splines. It's not brand new but if i remember the ball gear is new on one or almost new.

The drive it came off had the external arm that comes out of the transom that turns the drive.

I just went to shop.evinrude.com and looked up the part numbers for a 1968 (the brp site only goes back to 1968)
The 1 pc. ballgear/shaft for a 1968 CU-16C lists for $598 and it is available.

If you can have the part number, you can punch it in here at marineengine.com and check prices. marineengine is an evinrude dealer.

btw, I totally understand what some sellers are doing on eBay...they are playing it like a lottery, and I gotta say it makes sense...eBay has really changed the market - they want the Chinese trinkets and trash...computer parts and electronics business....not confusing boat parts....

If you sell used boat parts at fair prices on ebay, all it takes is one a-hole who knows how to use the system (paypal) to screw a seller, and you can give ALL your annual profits back on one b/s deal..... sellers can't even leave negative feedback anymore.

so what many people are doing now, is listing all their junk at astronomical prices.... that way you sell one or two things, throw the rest in the scrap bin and go fishing with a smile on your face
forget all that 1000's of emails from angry people DEMANDING to know why their c-clip hasn't arrived 2 days after they bought it for 15 cents

there's guys on there with beat-off old distributors for $350... a guy up north of Barrie there with some absolute crapola for ridiculous prices....I know where most of it came from, and it's a fishy deal all the way, but hey.... it's a system eBay created....not the sellers.... more power to him.

try looking for a parts boat...kijiji and craigslist are the new ebay for boat parts. right here at marineengine.com, you can place a free wanted ad....the time has come to cut ebay out of the loop.
Ontario has tons of old OMC boats hiding in cottage country - especially around Peterborough and the Kawarthas... they used to build those drive systems there and they sold a lot to loyal employees and local cottagers.
I see old omc sterndrive Evinrude and Johnson hulls routinely on kijiji.

Last edited:
the problem with the " Kajidiots " is just that on Kajijii.

I tried to sell a pair of Snowmobile Helmet. Brand new,never worn, in the boxes, full face helmets. $100.00 for the PAIR .One idiot asked if they came with heated visors. Said he was interested, but then, phoned back to say his Wife said no...WTF???
Another dork said her husband would stop by in his Rig in the next few days....she then phoned back to say he picked them up in the States.
Ended up selling them for 40 for the PAIR at the local Pawn Shop.

I have ZERO faith in Kajijii, anymore. Every time I look there, I dont see ANY OMC stuff.....I must be going blind.

Hystat, would you be talking about the guy from what used to be Big Bay Point Marina. If so, I know what you mean about high prices.

So i'm reading another forum, and a guy in Cali. with a young family has a stringer, and the upper gears go.

So i had a set with the whole shebang, bearing carrier shafts ball gear everything in the basement. It was a 77' or earlier.

So i say to him all i want is the shipping. He says yes thank you. So i send him 600+ dollars worth of parts. All i say to him is send the 20+ dollars for shipping.

Maybe someone here got the 20 bucks i never did. Read the whole thing on iboats just do a search. Oh yea i'm banned from there, thats another story.

Are people crazy ? You bet your @ss they are.

Last edited:
Chief, I was on iboats for a while and I got responces from a couple of rude people that thought they ran the show,long story short I am here and am pleased! Thanks to all of you..Chief I am sure you know who I am talking about from i-boats

Back