Logo

Water in oil

kevin_z

Regular Contributor
Went down to change oil and PT. side had water in it. (milky).:( It was hard to start and had to parallel the battries. Drained the oil, refilled, changed filter, ran for a few minutes. checked dip stick, looks O.K. BUT, the dip stick looked good before I started to pump out the old oil.
Where do I start to look?
1995 454XL full fresh water cooled, 525hrs. Moored and used in salt water for last eight years, before that up in lake Michigan. As far as I know, orignal manifolds, risers, U-coolers.

Kevin sorry to hear about your situation,we have the same boat mines a 96 and i have the 502xli.
I would start by changing the risers,i cant believe they lasted 15 years,and have both your u cooler and H.E tested.
when you change the risers then you can look nat the manifolds.
Good luck take your time and please keep us updated on what you discover.

The water could have come in from the exhaust, then leaked by the rings into the oil pan. Those engines are famous for sucking water in, so that's hopefully it. Eight years or exhaust parts is a long time in salt water.

Jeff

I'd start by pulling spark plugs. Any wet/rust would hint at entry thru the exhaust and drip into the oil pan.

If the old oil is still around, a UOA would let you know if it is fresh or salt water and could help locate the source, too.

The folks that are warning you about old exhaust hardware have a good point.

In addition, your engine probably has an oil cooler that provides lub oil<->raw water heat transfer. With the age you have on the engine, that could leak too.

Good luck and hoping that you've caught this in time,
Bruce Clarkson

Ditto Mark re; the UOA, and Bruce on an Oil Cooler (if so equipped)..... and of course, not to discount the possibility of exhaust!

Do a Google search on UOA (used oil analysis) and oil testing, to locate a test lab in your city.
It will be very helpful to learn what type of H2O is contaminating your oil (i.e., sea water or e/g h2o coolant).

I then use the good ole tried and proven P of E (process of elimination), one item at a time, systematically, and it will likely reveal your source of water intrusion.

Got the new manifolds, risers, and U-cooler via UPS. OSCO manifolds, so I ahd to paint them, Crusader risers came blue, but since I had the paint equipment out, repainted them also. the U-coolers came a nice Crusader gloss blue. Removed the old manifolds, risers, and U-coolers, all looked o.k. Nothing visable. Will install new ones tomorrow, change oil/filter and run. Lets hope for the best!!

Hey kevin again let us know what you find:confused: and if tyou dont mind me asking did you have a hard time with the manifolds
did you do anything to prep them ,and what did you use ,I think il be giving one of mine a head jodb soon.

Last edited:
O.K. Good news kind of. Replaced manifolds, risers, and U-coolers. Did three oil changes, did sea trials, one more oil change, and everythig looks great!! Lots of cash, but did the work myself, so no labor. I will pressure test the U-coolers when I get time. When I received the new manifolds and risers the mounting flanges were painted, so I wired brushed them before mounting. No broken bolts, just a sore back. Damn them things are heavy!!.
I still have steam out both exhaust, but that is in another thread.

It is always good to save a few dollars doing your own labor, it gives more cash to buy more parts with. Good luck!

Back