Logo

ESKA 5HP Flywheel Removal

jknoah

Hello,I'm fixing an old Eska 5hp motor, I do not know built year but model# 1195. I guess its been made around 60'~70's. My issue is that how to remove flywheel? I need to replace contacts or coil something kind a electrical part to get spark but this flywheel doesn't come out. I removed a center nut on flywheel and applied three leg puller but it didn't move a bit. Did I miss any bolt ?or need special tool to remove it? Other problem is removal lower unit also. There are only two bolt and nut on lower unit .When I pulled the LU after removed the bolt and nut ,It only loses 1/4 inch apart and then it pulled back. Someone can help me to disassemble this little motor? thanks .Noah

Pulling with a 3 leg puller on the outside of the flywheel is usually a mistake.----------------Are there three small holes on the top of the flywheel ??--if so use them along with the proper puller.------------------Is there a shift mechanism / rod that needs to be disconnected ??

Thanks for quick response .Yes, there are three small holes on top. What is the "proper tool "? Can I get it from auto parts store? How does it work? just pop it up or turn to loose it? / This is a direct drive motor so there is no shifter. May the drive shaft rust frozen inside of the power head hole ?

Use a puller that uses 3 bolts and a pushing bolt ( on the crankshaft ) to pop the flywheel off.-----------------AKA harmonic balancer / steering wheel puller.

I have pulled many Tecumseh flywheels using a deeper but same threaded nut as the flywheel, place the nut on the crank threads to just above the crank or near flush, then using a 2 lb hammer or a dead blow hammer and give it a good smack while applying light pressure with a large screw driver to the bottom side of the flywheel (be very gental with this), about three good raps and varying the location of the screw driver and it will pop right up.

P.S the holes on the tecumseh flywheel are generally not tapped for a puller

Last edited:
No luck. I give a several rap on the flywheel nut while gently pressing the underside of the f.wheel , It doesn't move a bit. I should make a tapping the holes and use a balance puller .

Sorry to interrupt with my question, but: I have got a old eska 5hp outboard, it didn't run since 4years ago and i don't know the gas/oil mix, can someone help me?

I don't know what model of ESKA engine he has, but My ESKAs are 1968,1967 5 HP single cylinder air/water cooled motor. In the starting instruction,It says mix 1/2 pint of S.A.E oil to a gallon of regular gasoline.So it could be 16:1 mix not 25 neither 50.

Back