Logo

1999 75 HP 2 stroke,starts and idles well, but no power

gjam

Hi I have a 1999 75hp 2 stroke Mercury outboard on a 16ft boat which I have had since the motor was new. Motor has about 300 hours on now and was recently serviced. Motor has nto had any issues until recently and normally takes the boat up to about 35kts.

When I had it serviced recently I told the mechanic that it started well, and ran well with good power (topping out over 4000 rpm). However, after about 15 minutes at planning speed (3000rpm +) it would lose power. Motor would keep running, but revs dropped back to about 2000rpm. No alarms are going off

He serviced it, replaced the plugs etc and took it for a test run. He could find no problems. However, when I took the boat out again, the same prblems happened. I thought it may have been stale fuel so I disconnected the underfloor tank and connected the motor directly to the sapre tank that has new fuel in it. It made no difference. If I idle around for about 15 minutes, or stop the engine for about 15 minutes, I get full power back for a very short period.

I would appreciate any help/advice that can help diagnose what is causing this. Thanks in advance. Regards

I would suggest starting with a compression check,confirm spark on all cyls,and then check stator,check it cold and then check it hot,ie heat it with a hair dryer to see if there is a big difference in the readings.From there go on to the carbs,may be a clog in the jet,check the fuel pump,possible pinhole in the diaphragm,this is what I would start with but as you've had a service recently,I'm assuming these were checked and that you have used a auxiliary tank it more or less rules out a blockage.
Were you only putting out 4000rpm's from new? The recommended,I think is between 4750-5250,if that's the case you are a wee bit over propped.

Agree with haventaclue big time on the over propped, you could safetly turn 5500 with that engine, I would certainly give it a compression check, but again a compression check should have been done during the service. Ask your mechanice what the compression was?? What pitch prop are you running??

Thanks for the fast replies. Compression was tested at service and was good (I am still looking for the report he gave me that had the compression test results on it). I have realised that I gave the wrong top rpm when it was workingproperly - 5500 is about right as it would hit the limiter if I tilt up to high. The prop is the one specified by the manufacturer of the boat for the 75 hp.

I will get the mechanic back and get him to re-check with your feedback.

Thanks again

Just an update to this. I took the mechanic out for a test run to show the issue. Replicated after about 4 minutes at 3500 rpm. We took the cover off to see that was causing it. Checked all the ht leads, good spark on all plugs.
Tooks for anothe run and could not get it to replicate.
It seems that one of the peices of insulating foam had come loose from the inside of the casing and was blocking the air intakes at high rpm. Took out the foam, replced the cover and now no issues.

Thanks

Back