Logo

1994 200 hp 'Rude Gearcase questions

tocwhiz

I have a 1994 Evinrude 200hp with a 25" shaft. I removed my gearcase to troubleshoot another engine, and got that one fixed. Now I have 2 gearcases I want to test on my engine, but I have questions.

First, I need to determine for sure what type of gearcases I have. With the shift rod pulled up (Forward) I turn the driveshaft clockwise (looking down at top of driveshaft) and the propeller shaft turns clockwise. If I understand correctly, that indicates a counter-rotating gearcase, is that correct?

Second, I have looked at multiple parts diagrams and they don't all agree. There seems to be a requirement for a "sleeve" on top of the waterpump outlet that is different length depending on the shaft length. When I removed my gearcase initially there was no sleeve, just a grommet. I can't see on the parts diagram where a grommet is required.

If someone can tell me if my conclusions about the gearcase rotation is correct, and also tell me what sleeve/grommet combination I need I would greatly appreciate it. This site is "the boss" and has helped me save a bunch of money over the past two years I owned this motor. Thank you all for your time and consideration.

Re: 1994 200 'Rude Gearcase questions

Standing behind a motor and looking at the prop.-----------------gearcase in forward-----------rotating the driveshaft in the normal engine rotation.------------If prop spins clockwise it is normal rotation.----------

Last edited:

tochwiz;

Are you looking at a parts list that is particular to your engine model number and what is that number? I count 16 different parts listings on the Crowley site and they are pertinent to the various model numbers. Here is an example of one: E200TZERK. The s/n would help as well.

As far as the grommet is concerned are you talking about the one which fits over the driveshaft and sits on top of the watepump housing?

Gerry

yes, there is a grommet setting on top of the water pump housing, and there is also a sleeve on top of that, if you would give us the model number of your motor we can help you out.

Model Number is E200CXERK. Didn't include it because the gearcase is same for all of the V6 engines, and the pump and pump parts are same for normal or counter rotating.

"Standing behind a motor and looking at the prop.-----------------gearcase in forward-----------rotating the driveshaft in the normal engine rotation.------------If prop spins clockwise it is normal rotation.---------- " Racerone

So, looking down on the driveshaft, which direction does it turn for "normal engine rotation?" I thought it was clockwise, am I wrong?

A counter-rotating gearcase will have a small "CR" stamped into the end of the propshaft. The normal rotation of the driveshaft is clockwise, and the propshaft turns clockwise when in forward gear on normal rotation gearcases. (non-counter-rotating).

Thanks Everyone!!! You definitely helped me figure all this out. My parts are on the way and I should have it all put back together soon. When I bought the boat last year and removed the gearbox for the first time, there was no sleeve installed on the waterpump outlet, only a grommet. What are the chances that the missing sleeve caused any damage? The engine runs very strong and I am quite happy with it to this point. I want to take care of it to keep it that way.

Back