Logo

etec 115 speedometer

kikeleal

Ok, I have a 2011 etec 115hp model: e115DSLIIB, how can I fix the speedometer. I was running and all of a sudden the needle dropped from 40mph to 0. Now I understand that there is a small black tube which comes down from the front of the motor and connects to a small black pipe at the lower unit, infront of the motor. I disconnected the tube coming down from the small tube stationary in the front. The tube looks empty with no sand or sea grass or mud. The small stationary tube with is installed in lower unit is also clean, well at least the little 2 mm sticking out. The tube is a 90 degrees going into the lower unit and I don't know what to do next. :(

I'm also looking for the right service manual, parts, and operational guide book.

Last edited:
Look further down the lower unit. That 90° plastic speedometer connection is plugged into a passageway that leads down to a pickup hole further down the front edge of that lower unit.

Poke around with a piece of wire and use air pressure to back flow whatever's blocking the passageway.

If need be, you can remove that plastic connector with a pair of pliers, then simply tap it back into place when you're ready. That piece is available if you break it.

intakespeedometerhole.jpgOK, I though I could make the picture bigger but the system does not let me. Anyway, You can barely see the small hole right above the black vent towards the right. I straighten out a large paper clip and it goes in about 1 1/2 inches deep, rotated it, and what not, but the hole is clean. I then blew in the little hole to see if debris would come out from the top 90degree plastic where the above tubing goes connected to, the air seems to come out of the somewhere else. It does sound hollow inside the motor. I might cover the intake water pump vents from both sides then blow in the hole to see if the air comes out from the top 90degree plastic.
Now I also blew through the tubing, and my brother was checking that the speedometer needle in the console did move up to 15mph every time I would blow, but that was all the strength I had. But I now the problem is somewhere in the lower unit.

boatspeedometer.jpg Anyway you said I can take this 90degree plastic off, right? and clean in through it? just wanted to let you see that I'm not talking about the speedometers where its a triangle shape object placed below the rear. Also, should use a computer air bottle or perhaps my 135hp compressor to blew through or will something get damaged inside?

Attachments

• boatspeedometer.jpg
    boatspeedometer.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,020
The hole just above the water intake ( vent you called it ) is just a cavity drain.------------------The hole you need to clean out is on the very front edge of the lower unit -----No where else.----------Use the 135 LB air in there, nothing can get damaged.

Last edited:
As per my original reply: "passageway that leads down to a pickup hole further down the front edge of that lower unit."

I just blew on every single little hole there is on the lower unit. The only one left is where the 90degree plastic tube is, can I take this of with pliers or what? Every little hole sounds hollow as I blow.

Look closely at the front edge of the lower unit, the front being the area where that plastic fitting is. Do you see a small entrance hole there? It would be in a location where the water pressure would be forced directly into it. The drain holes on the sides of the lower unit have nothing to do with the speedometer.

Applying air pressure to the hole I speak of would have air escaping from that plastic fitting and/or vice versa.

lowerunit.jpgThis is the only hole in the front and I guess this is where the water comes hits first as the boat is moving forward. Well, this hole is also hollowed. I inserted a large paper clip all the way, bout 1 inch until it hits the inside meter, turned it, twisted it, ..and what not. also blew into it. it's hollowed. Whats next?

Attachments

• lowerunit.jpg
    lowerunit.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 373
well, i still haven't clean anything, but I'll check if it works when I drive the boat next week or so. I haven't seen any kind of grass, mud, sand, or any debris. Hey racerone, in the top picture, is that the black 90degree angle small tube you said I can pull off without going wrong and cleaning the inside? I still need to do that and that's my final option to see anything plugging the way.

Water pressure goes in the small hole---------------ON THE FRONT -----------of the lower unit then to the black fitting , then to the hose and to the speedometer.-----------------------So blow it out and the speedometer should work.-----Quite a simple concept really.

As above..... If the speedometer hose is re-attached, and you apply air pressure to the bottom fron hole, and the speedometer needle moves, you're done.

Back