Logo

White Cloudy Stuff 1979 318's

My 1979 318s are raw water cooled and on startup i have white cloudy stuff coming from the exhaust that lasts for about 5 min and then goes away. Im just curious to see if anyone knows where this could be coming from.

Re: White Cloudy Stuff

Im sorry i should have been clearer its actually in the exhaust water, so the water behind the boat looks like chalky clouds of white.

Only thing I can think of is oil--specifically, water in the oil inside the motor that blows out the back.

Have you checked your dipsticks to see if there's water in your oil?

Jeff

Water in the fuel? If you got a seperator unscrew it and dump the fuel in a clear glass and let it sit few secs ,never hurts to have look see anyway,screw it back in quickly before the seal may expand

May be a little water being burned off as it has settled in the bowl then once that burns off the new fuel dosent have a chance to settle and the white goes away

maybe

water in oil
cracked block
bad head gasket
bad intake gasket
cracked intake
cracked head

Sounds like its just scale coming off the exhaust manifold walls, does it go way as the motor warms up?? Does that engine make a lot of steam when running?? & what are the temps of the motor & manifolds??

If it the original engine the valve guide seals may be worn allowing oil to build up on the tops of the pistons or backs of the valves. This oil will quickly burn off once the engine is started. Maybe whats causing the smoke for a short five minutes. Also you could try running the engine out of water and hold your hand close to the exhaust. If its steam, small water drops will build up on your hand. And if its small oil consumption it will just blow right by. Hope this helps.

Sorry reply is late, i've been on the boat. I had same problem and it turned out to be a leaking transmition cooler leting trany fluid in exhaust system. Changed cooler and prob. gone

Transmission or engine oil cooler, oil pressure is higher than the water pressure so it's always oil out not water in. Do you ever have to add transmission fluid?

Dan

G/day again, I detected my heat exchanger leak when I saw pink hyd. fluid in the box. Don't believe water can't get in due to pressure from pump, we also turn motors off which allows water to seep into the box. Anyway its around 30 to 35 C so I am going boating again, its great down under. Ossie

Back