Logo

Engine and boat in storage for three years.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Maybe those are aftermarket. Genuine BRP/OMC log style hasn't been available for years and years, and the Ford ones are unobtanium.

You don't have a Cobra. I don't get your point anyway. Are you trying to say that he shouldn't check whether his shift cable is working properly? In case you missed it I am referring to the cable from the top of the engine that goes thru the hose and into the outdrive, not the one from the steering station.

<< Don't get your panties in a bunch. Maybe those are aftermarket.>>

They were new old stock. Ive never seen an " aftermarket " Log manifold for my old gal, thats for sure.

o2batsea, A great looking guy, salty looking. lol. Thank you for all the advise. I'll kept in touch. You're right about Ford, Cobra Drive and yes, salt water. I was out in Savannah today, picked up some hoses and clamps, filters, etc. Thanks for the links. Computers aren't they great. Years ago the only way you got this advise, it when someone in the boat yard walked over and told you the right way of how it was to be done. Wish I would have gotten some of the Microsoft and Apple stock way back when, lol. I'd be on a different site chatting about radar. oh well, we play with the hand we are dealt. Thanks to all for your help.

Not sure how far I'm going to take this boat, but will take your advise and do as you said, for this summer. I have my eye on this 30 Sea Ray, twin engines, the interior is a mess, but nice boat. I'll take your advise, don't like problems on the water. Murf, thanks to all.

Last edited:
Corsair23, We are not talking about a repower. We are suggesting removing the OMC out drive and replacing it with a Mercruiser Drive. Conversion bell housing kits are available thru Strerndrive Engineering.

Corsair23, We are not talking about a repower. We are suggesting removing the OMC out drive and replacing it with a Mercruiser Drive. Conversion bell housing kits are available thru Strerndrive Engineering.
Yes, agree...... the topic (while not from the OP) has been a drive conversion only.... not an engine replacement.

However, I'll still suggest that doing the V/P conversion gives us the advantage doing away with the Dog Clutch and related ESA!
My question would be: "Why swap one Dog Clutch system for another..... and also retain an ESA system?"

Furthermore, both the Cobra and the Merc A (or SEI) are rated for a MAX hp of 300.
The SX or DP-S will handle slightly more.

No Dog in any fight here...... just pointing it out!

Back