Logo

Prestolite distributor spring replacement

djeller

I am rebuilding a 1BB 4301B Prestolite Dist. and need a source for the replacement springs on the internal plates. Mine are probably OK, but would liketo replace them since it's all apart. Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Ignition advance for a Marine engine is of particular importance. The wrong curve, and/or TA (total advance) coming on too soon, etc. could be damaging to your expensive Marine engine.
Springs being on the heavy side will seldom cause engine damage, but will hold back power. Conversely, springs that may be on the lighter side, will cause a detrimental change to the advance curve.... possibly causing Detonation issues as a result of the advance curve being incorrect, and TA occurring too early.
"Detonation" is one of a Marine gasser's worst enemies!

I'd strongly suggest that you have your distributor set up by a qualified technician, and on an old school distributor machine.
They are out there, and can be found!
(this is showing an automotive distributor..... but works as well for Marine)
p177850_image_large.jpg

The Technian will check the curve and limit, and will make any corrections, making certain that these are well within specs for your Marine engine.
You will need to provide these OEM specs for him!

Point being...... do not simply make changes to your Marine ignition advance without first knowing precisely what you are doing..... followed by a means of verifying this...... hence, the Distributor Machine.

And always check TA after having set BASE advance!
BASE means very little compared to that of the correct Curve and TA. :)

Last edited:
The 327F used two different IBM Prestolite distributors, and they take different rotors, etc.
The serial number changed half way through production of the 327F so if you order anything you will need to be specific as to which one you have.

As for the springs, Obsolete Parts and Equipment, in Cincinnati, Ohio, from Neal Gottesman (513) 731-4134.
That is where I got mine and they work great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/Dogsharks/Sea Skiff/MVC-002F-32.jpg

regards,

DS

If i may.... let me add another two cents here;

Even if you THINK that you've ordered the correct flyweight return springs, and even if you THINK that you'll be receiving the correct springs, after installing these, run this on a Distributor Machine and verify the curve as per your OEM advance curve!
Once you have your OEM info, it won't be difficult to do.

Do this...... time the Engine for TA (not just BASE) ...., and you'll never know what damage you may have prevented!

Last edited:
Back