Logo

Mariner 1995 40hp Charging problems

123magic53

Goodmorning

I am having a problem with my 40hp Mariner magnum outboard. I think it is a 1995 model. I took the boat out yesterday and everything ran fine. However when i was doing my fresh water wash, the motor wouldnt start and i noticed i had a flat battery.
I did some research and did the test procedure listed bellow. The rectifier failed this test.

boat.jpg
The one fitted is on the bottom right.
I have ordered a new replacement.
However after reading this thread:
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...208-Mariner-charging-query&highlight=charging
I am wondering if the marine battery is something i have to consider. The boat currently has a car battery fitted and looking over the engine and trying to follow the wires i can see no evidence of a regulator.

Should i consider fitting a marine battery before i install the new rectifier? Could the battery be the reason why the rectifier failed? I dont want to install the new rectifier only to break another one.

I would have posted the serial number of the outboard however i am unsure of where it is located. If anyone requires the number then could you please let me know where it is.

Thanks
Martin

Re: Mariner 40hp Charging problems

I use a lawn mower battery on mine with no problems. Be sure your new battery has removable caps so you can add distilled water if needed.

Jeff

Back