Logo

1991 5.7 Cobra Starter replacement

BuilderBob

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to buy a 1991 Chris-Craft 228 Concept Cuddy for a pretty fair price. The only problem is that the starter on the 5.7 is bad, according to the seller. In my brief search for information, it appears that swapping out the starter can be difficult, sometimes requiring engine removal. I haven't seen any information regarding this particular engine.

So, my question is: How difficult is it to replace the starter on the 5.7?

Thanks!

Re: 5.7 Cobra Starter replacement

It's not so much the engine, yes the starter is low and to the rear but how did they mount the engine between the stringers, you may have to stand on your head or remove a lot of rear seats or cosmetic upholstery to get to the starter, every boat is different.

Since the starter is pooched does this mean you haven't heard the engine running or gone for a water test??

Re: 5.7 Cobra Starter replacement

Since the starter is pooched does this mean you haven't heard the engine running or gone for a water test??
That's right. Can't start the engine or go for a water test unless the engine is running. I told the seller that I'd be willing to personally install a new starter, at his cost, if it is accessable. Then we'll see if it runs, etc,etc,etc. If everything checks out, then the money will change hands.

Starter is held on with two long bolts that go up into the bellhousing and a small bent metal bracket on the front. With the wires removed and the front bracket loose, take out the (9/16ths) bolts using a rachet drive or a racheting end wrench. The starter will want to fall straight down, but the Bendix will make it push forward a little so it won't fall until you undo the bracket thingy. It is about 15 pounds so don't let it mash your fingers.
Assuming you have space to get it out, the installation of the new one is going to be easy it there's room, or impossible if there is not.

Starter is held on with two long bolts that go up into the bellhousing and a small bent metal bracket on the front. With the wires removed and the front bracket loose, take out the (9/16ths) bolts using a rachet drive or a racheting end wrench. The starter will want to fall straight down, but the Bendix will make it push forward a little so it won't fall until you undo the bracket thingy. It is about 15 pounds so don't let it mash your fingers.
Assuming you have space to get it out, the installation of the new one is going to be easy it there's room, or impossible if there is not.
Very helpful! Thank you!

Back