Logo

1999 Evinrude 9.9 4 stroke no spark

powrguy

Anybody had similar situation where motor suddenly lost spark? Stator was changed, but still no spark. I assume it could be the Powerpack, which is a real costly item to replace (if you can find one). P/N 586505 or 586650.

Any simple way to diagnose for sure that it's the powerpack?

thanks

How long have you owned the motor???-----------Stator windings are easy to test, so why was a new stator installed ??------Have you tested / eliminated the kill switch.--------------Have you tested the sensor coils ??

I just bought the motor, with no spark, and the previous owner had replaced the stator to address the issue. That did not fix it.

How can I make sure it's the ignition module, and not the sensor coils? (I will check the kill switch).

Check the plug in connecters for pins that are not in proper place.---Also check the oil pressure switch as it appears to be hooked up to the module.-------The ignition coil has one input so both coils appear to fire at the same time ( one on the exhaust stroke )so it may also be the culprit.-----------------------If stator coils check OK and senser coils are OK then likely it is the powerpack.--------------It might be worth having a competent dealer do the electrical checks before investing in a pack.-----------------

Back