Logo

1987, 318 from van to marine ?

joen185

Dear friends hope you can give me some ideals.
I got a 318 from '87 Dodge van, ran good,I wanted to instoll it in my 28 Silverton, the peroblem I ran into is, this engine has throtle-body fuel injection,and yes had a computer. Can I use the comp. that came with it or need one that only works for this motor? Do I need the comp.?
Thanks for any info....Joe

Using the EFI setup will require an additional fuel line back to the tank, a higher pressure electric fuel pump somewhere, and an O2 sensor in the exhaust system (that's located correctly). I'd use a marine carb and manifold instead. Also, if your boat has raw water cooling, you'll have to change the freeze out plugs to brass and the head gaskets to stainless.

Jeff

Use your original mounts, flywheel, starter,intake, carb, dist, timing chain cover, fuel pump, pulleys, pumps and brackets from the original engine and while you have it apart you might as well put the original cam in with a new chain.

Dan

I forgot the oil pan. Basically you use the truck block and heads and everything else comes from the original engine.

Thanks Dan, but my original engine is only the block and is a 440 not 318. I still have to figure out how to remove it since its blocked (siezed) and is mounted to tranie/V drive,and I dont want to pull all out if dont have to.

use 2x4s layed on there side ,or shoved under the tranny the one tha runs the other way till you get the last one fairly level.then get some screw jacks like a honda or small car jack and turn em till you take some pressure off, have whatever your gonna use to lift the engine out the tranny mounts should hold the tranny and v drive,you could undo the coupler,might as well to get it right afterwards......those are some ideas mine was 318

If your original was a 440 then the exhaust manifolds, flywheel, bell housing would all be different from the 318. I have all that for a small block and was looking to put in a big block in my boat if you would like to look at exchanging let me know.

Chris

I see that the OP has not posted since 12-24.......

Most likely all data provided from the automotive ECU/ECM will be incorrect for your intended Marine use. Fuel metering will be incorrect! I would not attempt to do this.
I'm also not certain if the fuel return line is legal for marine use.

You will also need to consider the head gaskets from 1987, and whether this will be fitted with a Closed Cooling system, or if it will be an Open system. An Open system poses some issues for the automotive head gaskets.

Also, in 1987, I believe that Chrysler 318/360 engines used the nylon cam sprocket. If changing camshafts, you certainly want to get away from this.

None of my business...... but a 1987 car/truck/van 318 may have some miles on it.
Is this going to provide enough power for a 28 footer where a 440 had been previously installed?

440 and 318 are two completely different animals. Your better off replacing with the same engine or maybe a 426 (wedge) or 400 if you can find.
Exhaust, oil pan, trans, etc, etc, etc, are all different between big blocks and small blocks.

Back