Logo

johnson-200,no spark too spark on one bank

sycosam

hey daselbee: just got back on the boat today and here is what i got,first took out all plugs and tested for spark with tester an only had spark on port side so i took my dva and tested the charge coils and i had 138volts,also when testing forward plugs of stator with ohm meter i had780 and 785 ohms and testing for grounded condition was all good ,so i am beliving that the stator assembley is ok so i went on to trying to test power pack ,so i thout if i switch the to forward conectors of the statorto oppisit sides of power pack this would let me know if the coil pack was bad or the stator and still only had spark on port bank so i order the power pack, how does this look to you also how important is the primer solinoid because mine is burned out,also last we spoke the enginge was jumping a bit when i tryed to start and the starter would then free wheel .it was do to one of the carberators i rebuild is was pouring gas into the lower starbord cylinder and locking it ,so i took it apart again and redid it now its fine.

What year is that 200hp?

Primer solenoid takes the place of an electric choke sooooo..... it is very important. Install a new one.

Not firing on the starboard bank..... that could be a sticking shift cutout switch, located on the engines shift linkage. It can be recognized by the wires leading from it which lead to the powerpack. Disconnect the black?yellow wire leading from that switch..... Do you have spark on the starboard bank now?

its a 1993,,, put the power pack in today and it now starts,,, just one thing it will not shut off.lol. and the worst part is i had to do all the wiring from scratch and this boat has a regular ****er not a control box since it was all striped when i got it .any one know what i should check or wheere i should run a wire to and from ..ty sycosam

what Joe said....starboard bank dead, disconnect shift switch leads at powerpack. Check your PMs. You have multiple issues.

hey daselbee no i put the power pack on today and it runs.. but will not shut off, post is above with discrption if you can help ty

Kill circuit is:

Black wire from powerhead ground to powerpack.
Black/Yellow wire from powerpack to raised "M" terminal of ignition switch.
Black wire from other regular "M" terminal of ignition switch to ground.

Key OFF = "M" terminals connected (circuit shorted) = No ignition.
Key ON = "M" terminals not connected (circuit open) = Ignition engaged

Back