Logo

1988 force 125 spitting and sputtering at low speed

wassy

It ws not fireing on no-2 cylinder i put a used coil on and ran fine.Now it runs fine at wot but spits and sputters at low speed.Can anybody help.

do a linkage and synchronization as described in a repair manual. as well as adjusting individual carbs also in manual. the problem u describe is usually an adjustment to these things. or could be an air leak somewhere.

Fill out the profile.You might be near someone who can help.
Spittin and sputtering.Do a fuel system check.The fuel pump diaphram could be bad.The reeds behind the carb,cracked or broken.The carb itself dirty,or dirt in the jets or the needle/seat dirty.
Do a compression test then a spartk test.
Ethanol is messing with a lot of outboards.

The problem was the low speed jet was clogged from ethanol in the top carb.I add twice the amount of sea foam to my gass and it runs a lot better.

Seafoam is good stuff.Use Ethanol stabilizer too.
If your fuel sets for a while it will seperate into layers.It takes a while to do that but letting it set will not be good for it.
Used to be you could leave a boat with a full tank and that was OK.Now I don't refill after using.
I usually fill up the night before a trip.That way the old is mixed with the new.
Put in a water/fuel seperating filter.J

Back