Logo

Honda 130 problems

hordos

Contributing Member
First off since new this engine has had very little water flow, to the extent that one would think the water pump was not working. The impeller was changed even though the replaced one didn't look as it had anything wrong. This year at seasons end with honda in tank to flush salt water out , no water flow again. Anybody else have this problem. Also this Honda along with other Honda powered boats that I fish with have a problem with the oil level increasing continually. What's with that. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Oil level is either
bad t-stats
bad fuel pump
over propped
not running boat a WOT last15 mins of the day

as for the water not peeing try compressed air in he hole or use some metal wire and stick it up there, they always clogged

The "oil gain" problem is typically caused by one or both of two things...

1. Engine is not broken in well, so fuel leaks around the rings into the oil. It takes about 200 hours of heavy usage to properly break in these big Honda 4-strokes. Run at WOT as much as practical. That is actually good for the engine after initial breakin and up to 200 hours.

2. Thermostat wrong, or stuck open. When engine operates below it's proper operating temperature, fuel leaks by the rings and contaminates gas. If I recall correctly, the 130 operates fairly hot - around 180 degrees F. Your Owners Manual will show you how to test the t-stats.

Smell the oil. If you detect even a wiff of gas smell, change the oil and find the problem.

As for water flow - I'm assuming you are referring to the tell-tale outflow (pisser.) First, make sure the tube running from the block to the indicator is clear using compressed air or a wire as Justintime recommended. If that does not fix the problem, remove the tube and make sure it is clear, then closely inspect the tube connector at the block, and clear it out. It is not unusual for that nipple to become partially clogged. If that does not fix the problem, then you need to drop the lower end, remove the water pump, remove the thermostat, and reverse flush the water passages from the t-stat opening under as much water pressure as you can get.

Having the same problem. Took the hose off the housing where it connects to the tripple fitting and blew out and all was clear. We put in a new Impeller due to the pee hole just dribbling water out. After the new impeller was installed we still had the same problem. I took the black tripple fitting off all three hoses to find out that the hole in the fitting leading to the outside was smaller than the ones leading into it. I then looked through the fitting and couldn't see through so I got a piece of wire and pushed through which there was a small piece of something clogging the smaller hole. After removing that and putting back together the water has a strong steam now.

Thanks for the info. This all sounds logical. As soon as I get time to tackle this I will let you know how I make out.

I Have a pair of 2000 Honda 130's with less than 900 hours. Hydraulics leak, steering arms heavly rusted, one engine is running 20 degrees warmer than the other. In addition has lower water pressure than the other engine. One engine has bad compression on two cylinders. Dealer suggesrs repowering.

What are these engines worth for salvage?
John Densler
508-495-2999

Cannot answer your question directly as for salvage value, but I suspect not very much. But replacing those engines with new ones is going to cost you between $22K and $24K, at least.

Those engines should give you between 2500 and 3000 hours if maintained correctly. Economically, you will most likely be much better off repairing and refurbishing the engines you have.

Back