Logo

Flushing

twin 150

Contributing Member
I decided that due to low water prssure here at the coast, rather than flushing with muffs, I would use a horse water trough. They're made by Rubbermaid and are nice and tall. Super easy, raise fill and lower BF150's each, one at a time, 15 minutes and Im done.

Here's the question. What can I add to the water to keep the salt from collecting inside everything?

Interesting, one motor takes 4 minutes at cold idle till the thermo opens and closes every 10 seconds or so. The other motor takes 4 min and just stays open.. So, for those of you that always wanted to know how long it takes for a cold motor's thermo to open, about 4 minutes. :)

Muratic acid (the kind used to lower the ph in swimming pools) mixed into the water will also neutralize the salt. Salt Away is best, but a bit pricey.

I'm curious as to how you are "detecting" the thermostat opening and then closing? Are you feeling the tell tale stream? On the first one, is the temperature rising and then going cold and then rising again? On the second one do you mean that it warms up and then goes cold and stays cold?

It sort of sounds as if both engines may have bad T-stats. They should allow the engine to warm up rapidly, open and then maintain a steady cooling system temperature by almost imperceptible modulation of the opening in the cylinder head to keep the engine at the prescribed operating temperature. The fact that they merely open and close doesn't necessarily mean that they are operating correctly.

I'm curious as to how you are "detecting" the thermostat opening and then closing? Are you feeling the tell tale stream? On the first one, is the temperature rising and then going cold and then rising again? On the second one do you mean that it warms up and then goes cold and stays cold?

It sort of sounds as if both engines may have bad T-stats. They should allow the engine to warm up rapidly, open and then maintain a steady cooling system temperature by almost imperceptible modulation of the opening in the cylinder head to keep the engine at the prescribed operating temperature. The fact that they merely open and close doesn't necessarily mean that they are operating correctly.

Let me clarify..

....So, the first motor is cycling the thermostat in some damn cold water. The second is a slower reacting thermostat that is just staying open once the internal temp is rising... Motors have 40 hours on them.

I watch the tell-tale pressure. Lotts of pressure, then thermo opens--stream decreases pressure slightly. My guess, is a different passage is open when the thermo opens...

Back