Logo

1969 Evinrude 9.5 hp

azslabber

Going to pick it up tomorrow.Looks like brand new and has been in storage for over 25 years.Was checking out parts for it and have never worked on an outboard before in my life.So,you guys will be getting some pics and lots of questions in the next few days,lol.

Ok,got the outboard home now.Needs plugs,an impeller to start things off.Trying to find the correct part numbers.Not having too much luck with this.

Great motor. I have one myself the exact same year.

You are going to have to do some maintenance BEFORE you crank it over.

I would STRONGLY advise you order a maintenance manual (Manual JM_6904), an impellar (PART # 0434424) and some gear lubricant. Marineengines has most of it but the oil is cheaper to get locally due to shipping ;)

Remove your spark plugs and squirt some gas/oil pre-mix (50:1 is the ratio you need 1 pint 2 stroke oil to 6 gallons of regular grade gas) and just pull the starter cord a few times. It will introduce some oil lubricant back into the dry cylinders. Now just let it sit.

Next I would use the manual and tackle the impellar change (not too hard even doing it the first time). See you need a manual.

Change the lower unit oil. Manual will walk you right through it..... real easy.

Now that the impellar is new, the gear oil has been changed and there is lubrication in the cylinders it will be time to start it. Fresh gas mixed 50:1 with 2 stroke oil (oil rating must be TCW-3)......... Build a stand to secure the outboard upright and clamped tight....... get a small clean trash can and fill it up enough to come above the top plate above the prop then add 3-4 more inches.

Anticipate dry cracked wires, carb will probably need to be rebuilt, and fuel pump kit. Gaskets over the years not being used tend to dry, shrink and crack.

I hope I got you a start.

BTW there were a few variations (sail boat model with long shaft and even a folding model) of the 9.5 but the maintenance and parts are just about identical.

Look at the model number on the data plate.

Thanks for all of the info.The model # is 9922s.I've looked at it about 500 times already,lol.I made a stand out of an old walker with wheels on the front and a 2 x 6 bolted to it.Worked out perfectly.Time for some parts now.

Thanks for all of the info.The model # is 9922s.I've looked at it about 500 times already,lol.I made a stand out of an old walker with wheels on the front and a 2 x 6 bolted to it.Worked out perfectly.Time for some parts now.

Yup been there, done that and my wife's grandmother was not happy!!!! I gave back the walker.

It will all be a labor of love but it is a 67 lb motor that is economical and quiet. Did you know it even has a shallow drive setting. I use mine on a 14' aluminum V-hull and it is great for fishing and just getting around. While you are at the part ordering...... order a shear pin for the prop and stash it away under the engine cover.

Thanks.I'm putting it on a 1448 flat bottom that I just totally redid.It's getting a camo paint job with Reelfoot Grasslands camo like the boat.

Pull the flywheel and inspect the coils.-------They will likely be cracked and new ones are available cheap. New condensers as well.---------------These are a great motor , advertised at 60 LBS.------------The prop has a rubber " slip clutch / safety " and the drive pin for the prop is stainless steel.

There are some grease zirk fittings all around this motor.Mostly the front and the tiller handle area.What kind of grease goes into these?Can't really find it anywhere.Thanks EVERYBODY.Great site .

Multi-purpose grease once a year is just fine.--------------some owners greas these far more often than needed.-----------------Of course in salty water you do need to grease these more often.

Her's what I'm working on.Looks long to me.Boat is'nt close for me to check it out until tommorrow.
DSC00001-6.jpg

DSC00002-8.jpg

Last edited:
If it has a 5" extention in the exhaust housing ( looks like it does ), it is a long shaft .-----------It would fit on a boat with a 20" transom.------------I do not like the looks of the sealer on the head gasket.-----------Sure sign of inexperienced hands working on the motor.

Sure it can.-----------You will then need a shorter driveshaft.------------Need to cut 5" off the water tube.----------need to shorten the shift rod / install the short coupler.----------------Before you spend a penny on this motor, remove lower unit.-----Then the waterpump.-----------Pull out the driveshaft and inspect bearing surface just above the bottom spline !!!

Last edited:
Don't worry about the shaft. Since it is a 9.5 hp there are easier solutions then cutting anything. I can show you how to mount the motor higher with a very simple extension on the transom made from angle aluminum. Let's concentrate on the running part first.

Ok.lol.It's a long shaft.Went and found some pics of a shortshaft.I'm waiting on the impeller and going to get some lube for the lower unit.I sprayed inside the spark plug holes with some 50 to 1 mixed gas last night.I got the factory manual down loaded from TinBoats.net this morning,so,I have that and have already read twice on how to replace the impeller.I'm on my way.

Do not spend a penny until you have a look at the bearing surface on the driveshaft.----------------That motor has had the hood painted and may not be in as good a shape as you may think.----------Do a compression test --------It appears someone had the cylinder head off ------Evaluate the condition of the motor before investing in parts !!

I drained the lower unit lube to have a look today at the fluid.It was very clean,no metal shavings and no water.I guess that I will take the lower unit off to have a look before I go any farther.Somebody also replaced the side panel of the motor.It is brand new still in primer with a new water outlet put in it.

No,not to me either.When I saw the ad on craigslist it was a picture of a pretty new looking motor with decals on the cowl.Blue cowl and gold bottom with gold decal.When I got there this is what it was.I got it for $100 and it did start for a second.So,I took it.Not what I was expecting when I was looking up parts on this site and found this forum.I'll try to make it run good.We'll see.Still checking it out before I put any money into it.

Took the lower unit apart today.Everything inside was perfect except for the impeller.Going to put it back together tomorrow with a new one and put some lube and a set of plugs and see if it will start.

Here's what I got.I pulled the driveshaft out by accident and might have to open it up totally.I wanted to anyway to have a look.
DSC00005-7.jpg

Prop was not nicked up,just needed some paint.
DSC00006-5.jpg

Impeller was toast.Everything looked ok though.No signs of overheating in the lower unit.

The driveshaft pulls out and can be pushed back in no problem !-------show a close up of the bearing surface just above the bottom spline.

I got it all back together now.The cradle was not over the clutch dog and that is why it was'nt acting right.It's good now.I am painting the lower skeg portion right now.Here's the driveshaft pic.

Attachments

• DSC00010.jpg
    DSC00010.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 477
  • DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 326
Everything inside this motor looks like new.Gears and everything.I've got the skeg part painted and am going out to get some sealer to put it back together.Any good suggestions on sealer to keep the water out?I wanted to keep all the bolts original and not painted.It's OD Green like my boat.

Start a new thread and post more information.----Picture of where water is coming out.----And during operation or shut down ?---When test running in a bucket water must be at least 6" above the impeller.---Install a new impeller if motor is new to you.

Back