Logo

Seasonal question..

willow

Regular Contributor
I am surprised by the number of folks that keep their boat in the water during the winter. Obviously you, or most of you are probably located where the water does not freeze over...in most cases... but I was wondering if people do leave their boats in the water because ;

(1) too expensive to haul in/out and store it on the "hard" for 5 or 6 months or,

(2) not enough room around to put all the boats on the "hard", that would like to be on the "hard" or,

(3) owners feel there is less maintenance required if the vessel stays afloat.

I'm not a fisher person, my boat is purely for pleasure but even then I like to take a break from the water and on the "hard" it allows me to do a lot of maintenance that I could not do if it was in the water.

Another factor that perhaps not that many have is that we "basically" give up the house in the summer and live on our boiat 24/7 for close to 5 months, so there is that factor to put in the "like to take a the break" equation as well.

Purely from my perspective, where we HAVE TO take the boats out....I think it is a nice break, but more importantly it allows us to really look over the hull and running gear, and as well, it is easier to clean and load prior to launch.

Comments??

Don, I am in Annapolis and I would pick #1 for $1,200US and #3 because it is easier to get on the boat when its not 12 feet in the air. Also at the dock we have 60 amps service instead of a 15 amp extension cord. We haul out in late spring after the yard clears out to do the bottom, etc , when the days are longer. Normally the engines only stay winterized for about 2-3 months. You must be alot tougher than I am if you are doing maintenance during the winter in Ontario... Tim

Thanks for the comments Tim....I guess there are a lot of variables...for example, my boat is "blocked" with the rudders being about 12 inches off the ground. The boat is hauled in and out on one of those "travel-lifts". The boat normally comes out by late October and is blocked unti mid or end of May....really depoends on the weather. I have 15Amp (extension) to the boat when she is on blocks but that is really all I need as it runs the fridge until we empty the contents. Naturally the odd poower tool and vaccuum can be attached to that cord as well...when required.

Tough??nah...The boat is basically ignored until about mid -April or the first week in May. That gives us almost 30 days to do what we want before she is put back in. Yes, it does cost money, about $38.00/Ft, (about $1520.00) for haul out, storage (blocked) and haul in but when the wind is howling and the waves are are three to four feet high it is comforting to have 'her' up on blocks just enjoying the view !!!

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond......and as you stated............ each case for what one does in the winter is different.

Don,

We haul around December only because the cool water fishing is so good MUCH later in the year but we are always tempted to use a bubbler at the dock for the freeze issue and leave it in. Every year though, we give in and pull it out for maintenance. I believe it is THAT maintenance which will ultimately allow us to leave it in without as much "worry" in the coming years.

Actually as it get later in the year, I am going to a local marina for haul out next week or two...fish are still biting'...

Jeff,

I like your point...it gives you a chance to catch up on other things..For me its: SHEETROCK, TAPING, PAINTING, DOOR MOLDING and BASEBOARD !

Back