Logo

can I replace outboard mercruiser 4.3 with a mercruiser 470?

Depends on the boat size, weight, hull form. The 470 is only 170 HP so it may not be enough power compared to the 4.3. You'll have to glass in new engine mount. Flywheel cover is different, drive ratio will probably have to be changed, different wiring harness, and the engine is longer so if there is a bulkhead close to the front of the motor now then the 470 probably won't fit. May also be a height difference that could interfere with the motor box/cover. The 470 was not a very reliable unit anyway, why not go with a reman or crate 4.3? You'll probably spend less than trying to adapt and older, non-current engine.

I have a bad outboard mercruiser 4.3 but i have mercruiser 470 outboard can i replace it? Please help.

Ayuh,... You haven't provided alotta info on these Outdrives, but if they're both Alpha 1 Outdrives,...
yes, they should swap, plug, 'n play...

If it is a swap of drives no problem.

If the outdrive of the 4.3 is not a gen 2. If it is then you have to change the whole shebang on the transom and i believe the inner transom plate.

The coupler maybe also. You have everything from the 470 ?

can I replace outboard mercruiser 4.3 with a mercruiser 470?

My question would be Why?
These have charging system issues, a seal between the oil side and engine coolant side at the "Circ" pump.... yuck! And they were short lived!
The 470 drive ratio is apparently all by itself, from what I understand.
I would not do this.

Stick with the 4.3!

I have a bad outboard mercruiser 4.3 but i have mercruiser 470 outboard can i replace it? Please help.

thx.

I would stay with the 4.3L engine. with the 470 this is going to be sitting in the boat with different hieght / length etc.

this 470 engine is outdated , and unless it was worked on to correct issues these have, I would not do this even if the fit issue is not a factor.

My boat has the 470 engine and with the mods correcting these issues I have done, the engine now works better than new..

why is it you have not considered repair of the 4.3L engine ?

Dude, call back when you have more information. You don't have an outboard and you haven't told us what you are trying to do.

Back