Logo

Evinrude Lower Unit compatibility question 1994 100 hp

snookwheel

Hi Folks,

I have a 1998 4 cyl. Commercial Evinrude 100 HP engine. The Lower unit on the commercial engine is the same size as what is used on a V6 engine, which allows me to use a bigger prop than would fit on a standard/non-commercial 100HP engine's lower unit.

The engine is shot, but the lower unit is in good shape. I have a chance to pick up a 1995 non-commercial 130HP Johnson. My question is will I be able to swap the larger 1998 Commercial Lower unit onto the 19995 non commercial Johnson? They are both 25 inch shafts.

I use the engine to putt around on a Houseboat and turning a bigger prop is important to me. Many thanks, Scott

PS the 100 Commercial model is J100WP XEEC... I just checked the model look up info on this site and found out it is actually a Johnson. Wrong engine cover on it I guess...

Last edited:
Re: Evinrude Lower Unit compatibility question

I've been doing a bunch of searches and reading.... It looks like the only real issue I may have is the upper drive shaft length difference between the Commercial 100 and the recreation 130 hp. If that is the case, is there any reason that I would not be able to remove the upper drive shaft from the V6 lower unit and install the one from the V4 in it's place? The top splines are the same between the two, are the lower ones that fit into the lower unit the same? I can't really tell looking at pictures. I did check the shaft part numbers and they are different beween the two engines. Any input is welcome!! Scott

Re: Evinrude Lower Unit compatibility question

I had a chance to check out the engine today. I gave the engine a compression test and it has 120 lbs on all four cylinders. The VRO is disconnected and he runs pre-mix. The engine has been pickled for about 2 years and it was running on a pretty rich gas / oil mixture, that could explain the oily looking plugs.

He said his bottom price is 2K, not sure how good that is though, I will google around and see what they are going for and would be interested on anyone's thoughts about the price. The trim tilt cylinders have a good bit of corrosion, but I have an assembly on my blown engine that would not be too hard to swap out. The lower unit has a 15 spline prop shaft, is that standard for a V4 lower unit? He has a 15 X 17 prop on it and I did not think a 15" prop fit the v4 LU. Thanks again. Scott

Back