Logo

Can plastic tanks be used in the engine compartment

themons

I'm thinking about replacing my leaking tank with a plastic one from incoplastics. Since this is going to be between the engine and the side of the hull, I don't want to have to do it again.

Are there any federal or abyc regulations or recommendations against using plastic for a gasoline engine in the engine compartment? The boat is a 1988 Tollycraft Sports Sedan.

Thanks.

Any permanent tank has to have a USCG compliance number.

As far as the specific tank, check with incoplastics to see what their recommendations are. I'm sure they would have a max temperature at a min distance figure, or a given BTUH/sq ft figure that would be useful. If that isn't easy to satisfy directly, ask them to provide guidance on a suitable insulated panel you could 'shield' that tank with.

I have 2 plastic tanks in my engine compartment, Orig. Equip. Thet are installed between engine & hull.
Are you douing gas, diesel, or water tank mine are water tanks.

There are black plastic tanks that are made for below deck gas applications, but the red ones are not approved for underdeck installations. I had 2 24 gal. tanks installed in my 28' to increase the range and never had a problem with them.

Back