Logo

1985 Crew 3.8 litre 229 cu in Chev. / 800 Stringer

oldfatguy

Well, it's been a while so first I'll say hi everyone. My problem, The last couple trips out with the boat I have experienced the lack of power or acceleration after trolling all day, would not climb above 1000 rpm under load. Trolling for me is performed at low rpm around 700 for 7- 8 hours. The first time this happened I figured I had just loaded up the plugs, stopped changed them even though they didn't look bad and no difference still 1000 rpm under load. I was then advised it was a electrical problem likely caused by the condensor, so I changed the coil, cap, rotor, points and condensor. Also this motor has brand new plug and coil wires. The next time out without doing any trolling I again was restricted to no acceleration after all the changes I could only muster 2500 rpm with everything being brand new. I am now thinking it's a fuel restriction problem maybe the fuel pump is gone, I have changed out all 3 fuel filters every time I have serviced the engine. When the engine is hooked up to the ear muffs and run it seems to perform perfect, but when in the water it's a whole different story. All advice and options are greatly appreciated. Could it be a outdrive problem? Never had any problem with it, no noise etc, etc.

By the way Hystat this motor does run absolutely perfect!!!!!! Thanks

I'm not Hystat and i don't have 1/5 his mechanical knowledge, but have you done a compression test ? Warm motor and the throttle fully down with all the plugs out.

In my own inexpert opinion without that test your just chasing your tale.

Post the results and then maybe we can help you.

Oh yea you can test the fuel pump 4-7 psi no more no less.

might want to check the anti-siphon fuel fitting at the tank connection.
Anti-Syp%2007-2003.jpg

there's a ball and spring inside and it doesn't take much to jam it up. Like a piece of red plastic from a jerry can:

anti-siphon.jpg

Last edited:
Chiefalen and Hystat, thanks for the input I will check all suggestions. But, the call to work has forced the boat to be put away so I guess it'll have to wait till spring. Thanks

Gene

UPDATE, Hi Gang! Well Boat is back in the water and I have the same problem as described earlier in this post, just not as pronounced. Last trip out spun some bearings in the stringer, so the outdrive has been looked at and repaired. Over the last few months I have checked the siphon valve, it's good, installed a electric fuel pump and fuel pressure gauge, 6 pounds running through the gauge, installed a Sierra electronic ignition, did a compression check on the motor all cylinders good and within 5 lbs of each other. And I am still experiencing low RPM's and no top end regarding speed. When I first got the boat the boat would run out at 4200 rpm and about 38-40 mph. After all my hard work and new parts I can only muster 3200 rpm and around 30 mph. Any and all suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated, My mechanic buddy and myself have run out of ideas.

installed a Sierra electronic ignition,

that's a problem. There is no electronic conversion that works properly with the 229's semi-even firing order. You probably have a kit in there for a 4.3 V6...in which case, 3 of your 6 spark plugs are firing at the wrong time.

you have to stay with points on that engine

Go back to the points and rebuild the carb. You say you cleaned the filter in the fitting that enters the carb. The fuel pickup tube is clear.

You have hidden water in the hull ? You have a dirty bottom.

maybe this maybe that do a vacuum test now
On Fire vacuum gage

How to Use and Interpret a Vacuum Gauge

Get back to us after you change back to points, and the vacuum test.

By the way what were the compression numbers

ok will go back to the points, carb was rebuilt and new filter was just installed. Will do vacuum test and retest for compression numbers and post back. Hull is clean and boat never left in water, always trailed.

Interested also in the hull holding water, never thought of that, if there are no holes to the inner shell, how would it be holding water, Guess I need to investigate this option also, any recommendation on where to start to check out this possibility? Boat again is a 1985 Grew Bowrider model 20.5R.

Again thanks for the input!

Back