Logo

2000 454 MPI thermostat

killerbe20

I have received conflicting answers to this question. What degree thermostat does my 2000 454 MPIs with closed cooling take? The downloaded manual I have states they are a 170, but Marysville Marine claims my motors with my serial numbers call for a 160. I have not removed the ones from the motors yet to see what they actually are.

The motors currently run about 175 degrees. I know this really doesn't matter because there could be numerous other factors making them run hotter regardless of the thermostat.

Without the serial numbers, all I can find is 170 degrees..

This was "snipped" from another thread and posted by a very reputable individual who works with marine engines..

""""""""""""""170 is fine on FWC engines. 180 is not unusual, 150 is too low and indicates a stuck or missing thermostat.""""""""""

thanks guys! that is the same manual I have been looking at. Helped me reassure what I already thought I knew, if that makes any sense. Its not the first time I have been sent the wrong parts from Marysville. A little frustrating though.

The 160 is probably what they stock as it was the 'preferred' value for the older FWC models. If it hurts anything, it would be the fuel economy and might be measureable.

Don - you aren't the only one. If you can't find my previous post, send a PM and I'll send you a link to where you can find the parts diagrams online

Back